News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1988 Brougham questions

Started by David #19063, September 23, 2008, 08:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David #19063

I have a few questions that I figure someone can answer or at least point the right direction.

A neighbor is selling an extremely nice, inside and outside, garaged kept 1988 Brougham with 53,000 miles.

It has only two issues she knows about.

1.  When the wipers are turned on, they stay on until the car is turned off.  They will not turn off otherwise.

2.  There is no heat or AC.  All the blowers work, but it will not get cool or hot.  The AC compressor clutch will not engage.

Any thoughts?

http://www.100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1980/cad88b.htm
David #19063
1996 DeVille Concours

TJ Hopland

Wiper motors have a 'park' circuit that makes them 'park' at the bottom of the windshield when you turn them off instead of stopping where ever they are when you hit the switch or turn off the key.   Older ones that was all contained in the motor itself.  By 88 it would not surprise me if all there was is some sort of a position indicator switch in the motor that send a signal to some sort of module that also controls the intermittent / mist feature.

Ac could be as simple as low refrigerant in the system.  Heat usually runs through a water control valve.  The valve could be stuck, plugged, or the control not connected.  Im fairly sure in 88 it was still vacuum controlled.   If you switch to defrost does the flow change to the proper vents?  Same if you go to 88 (or what ever the max heat is)?  It should blow out the floor.  If you go to 60 (or whatever the lowest setting is) it should blow out the dash.   If none of that works you are likely not getting vacuum to the system.   With the engine warmed up use an IR temp probe or carefully feel the heater hoses.   If they are both the same temp (hot) that would imply that you do have flow and the valve is working.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

David #19063

Hello TJ,

Thank you for the input.  When I test drive the car, I will try what you said with the temp range changes and see if all the venting changes to prove proper vacuum or not. 

I have heard if the car is low on freon, sometimes the compressor will not kick in.

Thank you for your time!
David #19063
1996 DeVille Concours

Ohio57-62Sedan

Hello David,
                Your brougham is rwd right? as for the wipers you could have a bad wiper switch.. but i would check the wiper module on the motor it's self. as for checking the A/C compressor there is a pressure switch on the accumulator you can take a paper clip and jump between the two terminal's the compressor clutch should come on and off for you even if it's low on freon. That will tell you if the compressor is any good as for the temp door i thought your car has a program module behind the glove box they go bad all the time but i'm not shure if i'm correct on this. I don't want to give bad advice here.. someone will tell me if i'm wrong. but i have my money on the program module

David #19063

Hello John,

Yes, this is one of the RWD Broughams with the Olds 307.

Can you explain what and where the accumulator is?

Thanks!

David #19063
1996 DeVille Concours

Ohio57-62Sedan

David,
       The accumulator is Located right in front of the airbox. It's the aluminum cyl comming out from the air box.  but after I posted  last night I was thinking about your car and the a/c problem your having. If the compressor coil or diode shorts out it could burn up the power module also on the outside of the airbox with about a two inch connector on it. The power module's are around 225.00 to 250.00. check the pressure switch and let me know how it goes. I will do my best to help you out.

Roger H

If I recall correctly those have an all electronic temp control and a couple of electronic modules buried in the dash,  I would make sure the basics are ok first.
is the radiator  full of antifreez?  does the engine run without overheating? do the heater hoses get hot?  When you push on the schrader valve in the a/c system can you hear freon leaking out? if all this is ok and all fuses are good  it could get expensive,  Have you checked the library? our library has good manuals to use for free.
See if they have Mitchel manuals they are pretty good, Locate the section on that exact car and A/c system they should have a pretty good diagnostics section to follow
Good luck

Roger
Roger Hundtoft
1936 Fleetwood 8509
Lynnwood Wa

wangmeng

I have the 1989 "SERVICE INFORMATION MANUAL" for caddy brougham, there is a chapter which explain the wiper in every detail about the reason and solution for unstop wiper.mine has the same problem.if you need i can sent you some pics

David #19063

Yes wangmeng, please e-mail me the pictures.  I'd appreciat ethat.

Fleetwood, I will check those items when I test drive the car.

Thank you both!
David #19063
1996 DeVille Concours