News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 series 62 questions

Started by Ron Draper, September 29, 2008, 12:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Draper

A few questions about working on a 1956 series 62.

The windshield gasket is cracked and leaking water.  Is there some one in the Dallas area that is qualified to remove and replace the glass - I have the new gasket.  Will they replace the glass if they break it (I would think the person(s) would need to be bonded)?

If the glass were removed, could you "glue" it in using pieces of the old gasket for alignment such as is done in the newer cars and would this eliminate the water from leaking say for 50 years using a good sealer (I really do not like the rubber gasket showing but is it a body structure thing)?

I am replacing floor pans in this car - is there any instructions and/or videos of this process?

Should I solder the seams or just use a good 3M seam sealer?

Since I am replacing the floor pans is there a reason to replace the body mounts?  They do not appear to be split and seem to still be "soft"?  Does this make a body off restoration if you replace all the mounts or what does a body off restoration really mean?

On the door chrome, the chrome appears to be crazed.  How to repair and where to find the mounting hardware?

Thanks for your comments.
Ron

batterseaboys

i doubt if they would underwrite the fit.........

bonding would be a mistake.........
Milton Homan

jaxops

Just my opinion on these things, but:

- On the windshield: If it is cracked, there is no way to glue it.  In some states (Like Pennsylvania) it wouldn't pass inspection that way, and most car shows would show a cracked windshield as a safety problem.  There are replacement windshields available.  I bought one from Vintage Glass in Tennessee.  I would also have a classic car shop or a body shop that can work on older cars install the glass.  Most glass shops may not get involved unless they have the windshield themselves and then put it in. 

- Floor pans: I would have them properly welded in, and then sealed/coated.  Lifting a car of this size is no easy task.  I don't have anything to offer on body mounts.  Mine were shot and had to go.  The shop couldn't lift the car off the chassis so they lifted it enough to make the metal repairs and install new mounts.

- Door chrome: I would have it rechromed. If it is crazed, it probably won't polish out.  I had this on my 70 Electra rear bumper.  The metal was worn thin and the chrome was crazing and splitting off.  Mounting hardware is readily available.  All Cadillacs of the 40s and 50s, Cadillac King Junkyard in Arizona, and USA PArts Supply in West Virginia to name a few should have what you need.  Rubber gaskets for the doors can be obtained at Steele or Metro Moulded.

All the best.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Otto Skorzeny

In my experience, virtually no one will guarantee that they won't break your windshield taking it out. It's a trick y business to remove a windshield from a 50 year old car. Putting one in is a diffewrent story. Any competent windshield replacement shop should be able to put one in and guarantee their work, especially if you purchase it from them.

These windshileds are not hard to find and your local auto glass people might be able to order one for you if you need it.

The door trim is a combo of chrome and stainless steel. The long piec is stainless, the air scoop thing is chromed and painted.

Buy a new windshield rubber from Steele along with any other door seals, etc. that you need.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE