News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

A/C in '56 Convertibles?

Started by Charlie Petty, October 11, 2008, 09:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Petty

I saw two '56 convertibles at the Hershey show that had A/C.  One was an Eldo, I forget if the other was or not.  Was A/C available in convertibles in '56?   ???

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hey Charlie, thanks for opening Pandora's box!!!  LOL, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Yes, in 1956 it was made available in convertibles.  That was the first year for the AC
in a rag top as a factory ordered accessory (both for the Eldorado and the series 62).

You will note that I'm not including any possible retrofits by a dealer --- I've never seen
one but their could be a few out there somewhere.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Sam Moore #21210

Does anyone have any suggestions for installing A/C into a '56 convertible that was not factory equipped? I have a '56 convertible (currently unrestored) that I was thinking of adding A/C to and a '56 Seville parts car with a complete A/C system. I haven't looked closely, but it seems to me that the A/C equipment in the trunk would be in the way of the folded down top.
Sam Moore # 21210

Otto Skorzeny

Where does it blow out? There's no deck like a coupe.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

You would have to install one of those "under dash" units that were sold on the aftermarket
starting in the 60's.  An original type unit would not work as pointed out in the previous
posts since they were mounted under the rear shelf with ducting through the shelf.  In a '56
convertible, there's no where to put it.

So, if your not worried about authenticity, an aftermarket type is the solution.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Otto Skorzeny

But how did the factory convertables do it? I assume they had the same trunk mounted stuff that the other '56s had, right?
fward

Otto Skorzeny

Cool. Thanks for the explanation and photos. Fortunately, the trunks are so huge on those cars, no one will miss the extra 4 inches!
fward

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Thanks, Lou.  I was just going back to modify my reply but you beat me to it.  Look's
like Al's car from New Jersey and that's a good pic.  Great explanation.

Of course, the tough part will be to find a convertible AC unit that's correct if Charlie
wants to do an authentic looking addition to his car.  Very few were made in '56 with the
convertible type unit.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
2011 Buick Lucerne CX

Otto Skorzeny

Not only are the blowers closer together but they're reversed in position; left/right, right/left.
fward

Charlie Petty

Sounds like it was available from factory, which surprises me.  The one car I saw at Hershey had a trunk unit that did hang back a few inches over the "shelf" area of the trunk.  The refrigerant lines ran through the inspection plate.  The blowers were not in the center of the box, though.  I don't have a convertible, and am not planning any retro-fit- my CdV  has a/c.  I was just curious about the factory availability in the convertibles.   

Thanks all.