News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Fender Interchangability

Started by Jack McClow CLC #15840, October 13, 2008, 11:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack McClow CLC #15840

I found a vendor at the Hershey show who may have the low mileage front fenders I've been searching for in preparation for furthering the restoration on my '57 convertible .......the vendor doesn't know what model '57 they came from.   I've always thought that all front fenders were the same, but a friend of mine has told me he found out the hard way that is not always true; that in the '56 model year, for example, there are some differences between the fenders used on convertibles versus sedans and coupes ..... is this really true?  Do I need to be careful regarding the body style of the donor car?  I feel a bit foolish even asking this question, but before I start off on my trip to make my purchase I decided I'd better ask the experts.

Thanks and, if this is truly a ridiculously stupid question, please take it easy on me.

Jack.

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

Jack:

I just checked the Holllander Interchange manual.  It says that all of the 57 fenders are the same.  However, proceed with caution!  The manual also says that all 59 fenders are the same.  While technically correct, it may not be the whole story.  When I restored my 59 I found a set of nice fenders from a 59 Fleetwood.  However, my body man said that he would prefer to work on a patch panel where I had a rust through on the fender of my Sedan DeVille in the typical 59 location rather than use the Fleetwood fenders.  This was because the 59 Fleetwood has a chrome trim piece along the beltline.  The person doing my body work said that it would be very expensive to weld shut the chrome mounting holes and then try to get a straight beltline after doing so. 

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Bill, that's a good reason to use the Cadillac Master Parts Books for research & NOT Hollanders. They tend to take the "one size fits all"  junk yard mentality. Jack, all 56 fenders are the same EXCEPT commercial chassis & 75 series. That's probably what he had. I got that info from my Cad Master Parts book.  It's amazing how these stories get started that conv. parts are " different"  in areas that make no difference like the front fengers. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Roger Zimmermann

Front fenders for 1957 are not exactly all the same: the ones for Eldorado Seville/Biarritz are different and, of course, the front fenders for Broughams are different too.
The differences between the fenders for regular and Eldorado models is probably a matter of holes because the parts book says: "If necessary can use 351 1100 (fender for regular models) by plugging holes for sill moldings". The same text is printed for the other front fender.
By the way, I was also at Hershey for the first time (and probably the last time). It is huge and the quantity of parts does not means that the quality is there. The reception at the club space was a disappointment too: after the question "Where are you from?" and our answer "France and Switzerland" nobody cared about us. As a club member, I expected more interest from the people there.

Roger
Switzerland
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Walter Youshock

Jack,

I'd have to say that yes, all the front fenders and hoods are the same for the 1957 model run.  The stampings were identical, however, depending on what model car they ended up on determined things like the holes for the fender scripts, bunny ears and no rocker molding for the Eldorados; no hood ornaments on the Eldorados; etc.

I had to replace the passenger fender on my CDV and got one from a 60S.  The only difference was the "Cadillac" and "Coupe de VIlle" script.  Getting the holes in the correct location was not easy, but it had to be done.

Another item is whether or not the car has Autronic-Eye.  On a non-equipped car, there are no holes for the amplifier box on the inside driver fender.

Ideally, if you can find a usable fender from the same model, I would go for it, however, sometimes you don't have that option.  Thankfully, you do have alternatives!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Jack McClow CLC #15840

Thanks so much to everybody who responded to my question.  I feel confident now to go ahead and purchase the fenders from the vendor I spoke with in Hershey as I now know what to look for and what questions to ask of him ........ and yes, I do have the Autronic-Eye system, so I'll make sure the fenders I am interested in have been drilled to handle the controller box.

And to Roger Zimmermann from Switzerland, I am very sorry to hear that you were not made to feel welcome when you visited the hospitality tent.  I worked at least three shifts this year (this was my first year working in the tent) and I was trying my best to make everyone feel as welcome as I could, and I know all the other volunteers were doing their best as well ........ it did get very busy in there many times, and it was easy for us to get wrapped up in trying to help with renewals and other tasks we were trying to handle, but I can assure you our intentions were only the best ......... I hope you will come back and give us another try next year ........ I'll be back in the tent again in 2009 and I would appreciate a chance to make it up to you and prove to you that we really do care about all of our members who come in to see us during the Hershey event.

Thanks again so much to everybody for the suggestions regarding my replacement fender project.

Jack.