News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Installed new carb, not shifting at all now.

Started by Zachary, October 14, 2008, 12:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zachary

Greetings all,

This might sound like kind of a dumb problem, but I think I may have just gotten a bit hurried to get a new carb on the car that I pulled something important off. So I installed an Edelbrock carb on my 1972 472 engine and it is not shifting at all at this point. I checked all the vacuum lines and I replaced the vacuum control module as well but it will not kick out of first at all.

When installing the carb I did pull off the downshift switch (I am pretty sure that is what it was called) if I remember correctly. Would this be affecting me shifting out of first? This is the switch assembly located on the passenger side of the carb, correct? I did the work when I was a bit sleep deprived so honestly, not all of the details are coming back to me right now, aside from the fact that I really need to take more breaks when I am working on cars.

Thanks in advance for any help!
-Zachary Helm

Dave Shepherd

Disconnect the kickdown switch and post back the results.

Big Fins

He never had it connected. The K/D switch is in the drivers side, just outboard of the throttle linkage.

Quit wasting your time with an Edelbrock, and put the proper carb back on the car if you ever want it to operate properly again. The engine set up, manifold, throttle and shift linkages were all set up for a Rochester.

Are you racing this car? Is the engine in a race car? No? Do it right then and save yourself a lot of unneeded headaches.   ::) ::)

Fins

Roger H

Check that the vacuume modulator   has full manifold vacuum not ported vacuume.   If it has no vacuume the tranny will "think" you have your foot into  it and shift out of first  at about 60 mph.
Roger Hundtoft
1936 Fleetwood 8509
Lynnwood Wa

TJ Hopland

He said he checked the vacuum stuff.   If you unplug the kickdown switch (thing that came off the carb) it should be fine you just wont get the extra benefit of the kickdown.  Its the same thing as the cables on most trannys.   If you left the switch in the harness and the spring is shot it may be telling the transmission to downshift all the time.   You could also unplug the single wire from the transmission itself.   IF you do it with the key on (engine not running) you should be able to hear a click inside the trans if thats your problem.  I have had more than one case where part of the harnesses melted together and caused all sorts of weird issues.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Dave Shepherd

Chastise number two coming, you did as I did, Zachary stated the switch was not connected to the linkage, I assumed maybe as you did the connector was still on, who knows?

Guidematic

The kick down switch only activates when the throttle is fully depressed, and it should have no bearing on not shifting at all, unless the wiring is somehow cross circuited.

It was not said how the vacuum was connected, and what sort of vacuum was there. You need manifold vacuum to the modulator, or the trans will not shift untill higher speeds are reached, and it will also freewheel.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Zachary

Quote from: Mike Jones on October 15, 2008, 09:48:42 AM
The kick down switch only activates when the throttle is fully depressed, and it should have no bearing on not shifting at all, unless the wiring is somehow cross circuited.

It was not said how the vacuum was connected, and what sort of vacuum was there. You need manifold vacuum to the modulator, or the trans will not shift untill higher speeds are reached, and it will also freewheel.

Mike

I did have it hooked up to the manifold vacuum, specifically the line coming off the back of the manifold right above the oil sensor. I just cannot figure out why I shifted just fine beforehand and now everything is haywire. I mean, it could be a coincidence, but most likely not. I have done this swap with great results before, not sure what went wrong this time.
-Zachary Helm

Dave Leger CLC #19256

Zachary - could you have a vacuum leak from mounting the new carb?  Maybe a gasket mismatch that's blocking a port?  Did you put a vacuum guage on and see if the manifold vacuum level looks ok?

Dave
Dave Leger     1947 6207 Club Coupe

John Abend

Same thing happened to my '69 Coupe.  I replaced the carb with a remanfactured one, forgot to reconnect the kick down switch and it wouldn't upshift.  Once I hooked it back up, all was good, except for the fact I wore out my 1st and second gear on the tranny by forcing it to manually upshift before I realized my mistake.

John
John Abend

'68 Sedan deVille Hardtop
'74 Eldorado Convertible
'87 Allante Convertible
'15 XTS Platinum VSport

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

My question would be "why did you go to a smaller, Edlebrock carburetor?".  Since they don't make on specifically for Cadillac the throttle arm does not have the proper attachment points for the transmission switch, and it is smaller. 750 CFM vs. the 825 CFM for a Cadillac Quadrajet.
If it was for performance, a performance rebuild by any of the several specialty shops would have given you everything you would need in the way of improvement and still have all the Cadillac specific features.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Roger H

Hello Again
Is it a turbo 400 trans? (two bumps on oil pan)
If it won't shift ,  forget about the engine for a bit,  here is what I would  do if it were  a customers car and I  did not know the history,  all I knew is it won't shift,  check the basics

1  check the fluid level, running, park hot
2  check the shifter,  when you move the handle does the shift valve in the trans move?
3  check vacuume AT THE TRANS,  ( small rubber hose at tranny not broken or came off ?)
4, test drive, if modulator related it should shift eventually at high rpm and speed
5  If still nothing,  pull the oil  pan and look inside for anything broken

Good 
Luck

Roger
Roger Hundtoft
1936 Fleetwood 8509
Lynnwood Wa

Glen

Hi Zachary,

If I read this correctly the detent switch has been removed from the carb.  The question now is where is the detent switch and what position is it in?  If the switch is anything like the one on my 68 ELDO it has no spring to bring it back to the “at rest” position so it could be in any position including wide open throttle.

If it is in the wide open throttle position or if the wires have been shorted together then the detent solenoid in the tranny is activated.  That sets the shift points to very high speed. 

Once the detent switch (or its associated wires) are checked then you can start the other more invasive procedures.  I like to go for the easy stuff first. 

Good luck
Glen

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104