News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Engine ID question

Started by Dave Shepherd, October 17, 2008, 06:17:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepherd

I am working on a 61 Deville that has an engine ID on the l/s of block just above the pan rail that starts with 61LC then the vin, I know it is a 61 engine but I seem to remember the LC denoted a low compression export engine.  Any info appreciated.

Warren Rauch

Your car should be a Sedan DeVille. The "L" at that point tells me that much. The "C" ,however makes no sense. It could be a poorly stamped "0".There should be 6 digits in the ID number, if the car serial is under the 100,000 mark it should be a "0".Remember the engine number was the same as the frame number when it left the factory, so just check the registration for it. There could be a star stamped at the end of the engine number, it would mean the block is bored .010 oversize from the factory.
  THe "LC" that means a low compression engine is a suffex to the "engine unit number" . It is located  " above the cast rib on the rear portion of crankcase,behind the left hand block"(64 parts book) Warren

Dave Shepherd

Warren, thanks, thats the same info exactly as the 59 manual.  You are right the c is actually an 0.