News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

head light bulp keep blowing up, 1939

Started by Nasser Almasary, October 17, 2008, 07:07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nasser Almasary

Hi everyone:
  My 1939 60 Special regularly blows up the left sealed beam head light bulp ( I bought it with sealed beam), I dont know what is the cause? It blew up three bulps in 300 miles (5 months), all wirings are intact with no shorts or any compromises or accessories in the head light line. I suspected the VR, before blaming the VR, I thought cosulting your expertise:
1- Could the cause be over charging?
2- I have a new replacement sealed VR (riveted cover), do you recommend instaling it?
3- how do you measure the out put of the charging system (I have a tester)?
  Please let me know what do you think or any past similar experience(s), I appreciate all inputs. Best regards.
Nasser,
1939 60 special
1947 convertible
1972 Eldorado convertible

Otto Skorzeny

You've mentioned some of the possible reasons for your sealed beams to burn out frequently but I'll list them again. Since it happens to only one, that should help narrow down the cause by elimination some of the problems that would affect both.

1. Excessive battery voltage
2. High charging rate
3. Poor ground at light socket
4. Short in light circuit
5. Incorrect bulb type
6. Corroded battery terminals

I would check all of these very carefully. Because onlyt one seemsto be affected, I'd  lean toward number two. Follow the wiring all the way back to the switch and battery. If it's crack, frayed or spliced anywhere, replace it. You may re-ground the circuit with a separate piece of wire just to be on the safe side.

Most charging system testers that I have used are quite simple to use. Just connect the leads to the battery, start the engine and read the gauge. Possible causes of the over-charging could be a faulty regulator or faulty regulator setting.

Check also the ground in the generator -to- regulator wiring.This problem will also manifest itself with the need to add water to the battery frequently.

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

TJ Hopland

Is this still an otherwise stock 6v system?

Are there any signs of burnt terminals on the bad ones?  Ever try swapping them to make sure the 'bad' one is bad?  Maybe you have a socket issue as the act of changing the lamp temporarily fixes the problem.

Just one light I would also be looking close at mechanical issues maybe allowing that one to vibrate or rattle more than the other side.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason