News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Model order and which models bring higher dollar amount?

Started by Continental, October 17, 2008, 05:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Continental

Does anyone know what the Model order is?

For example...is a series 62 cheaper or better that a coupe deville?

How do I specifiy the difference between each one?

I am looking at buying a 1959 4 door 6 window...So I am figuring out which models are better and the special options that come with the cars.

My father was a huge fanatic and I am trying to learn as much as possible about cadillacs myself.

All in all I am trying to learn about all Cadillacs and I figured that this was the best place.

Thanks!!

Otto Skorzeny

Generally speaking, the cars that were more expensive when new will be worth more today. The exceptions being 4 door cars verses coupes and convertibles. The driving force behind the current value of a car is its desirability among prospective buyers. In general, two door coupes and convertibles are worth more than the 4 door versions of the same car - even if the 4 door version has more options or cost more when new.

As for model lineup, a series 62 is the entry level car. The Coupe de Ville is a series 62 coupe (later series 63) with certain options and higher level trim package as standard. The convertible is a series 62 as well but obviously a little more expensive both when new and today.

Since you mentioned 1959 as the year of choice, I'll try to list from entry level  (cheapest)to top of the line(most expensive) in order when new based on price. Today, the order would be mixed up a little since, for example, the 62 coupe will usually command a higher price than some of it's more expensive 4dr stable mates.

Series 62
2dr coupe
4dr 6w
4dr 4w
conv

DeVille
2dr coupe
4dr 6w
4dr 4w

Series 60 Special
4dr

Eldorado
Seville 2dr coupe
Biarritz conv
Brougham 4dr (most expensive model and top of the line then and now)

Series 75
4dr sdn 9 pass
4dr limo 9 pass

When you ask "what models are better?", that is a question answered only by personal preference or choice. The 4 door series 75 was more expensive and rare when new but limos aren't as highly sought after today as a convertibles or Eldorados so ranking them in any objective way is difficult.

Buy the car that best fits your desires and wallet. If there is a particular year or model car you are interested in, I would suggest buying literature pertaining to it. Shop manuals, specification manuals, etc. are good sources of information to help you learn what you can expect from the car of your dreams.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Walter Youshock

The 62 series encompasses a lot of models in the 1950's and 60's. The 62 was the base model Cadillac for many years.  The 61 series was dropped for 1952 as Cadillac wanted to concentrate on the higher-level luxury model.  The 61 series shared a lot of trim and body styles with mid-line Buick and even Oldsmobile lines.

The 62 Series is sort of strange.  A base 62 coupe was the most economical Cadillac.  All you got was a Cadillac engine and chassis, a Fleetwood/Fisher body and finish (worth quite a bit) and Cadillac prestige.  This series also comprised the Coupe deVille with upgraded leather interior, power windows and seat.  1953 introduced the Eldorado.  IT was a part of the 62 series as well, yet almost EVERYTHING was standard.  The 62 convertibles had the deVille interior and trim, but were not called "DeVille" until the 1960's. 

1956 introduced the Sedan deVille in 4-door hardtop style, upgraded interior and power toys standard--a four-door Coupe deVille. 

Eventually, the Eldorados were promoted to the Fleetwood series in 1964, sharing the stage with the 60 Special and Broughams and 75 sedans and limousines.  The 62 convertibles became part of the 62 sub-series DeVille models and the base Cadillacs with vinyl or all-cloth interiors and few toys were simply called "Cadillac" with no model designation. These became "Calais" in the 1970's.  The "Calais was dropped for 1977 and the deVille became the "cheap" Cadillac.  I have no idea what it is now.  I lost track somewhere around 1996 and XFDGY....

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

35-709

"These became "Calais" in the 1970's."

The 62 series became the Calais in 1965.   :)
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

kelly

I would agree with at least one of the previous statements.  I am the proud owner of a 1957 series 7523 9 passenger sedan.  It is as nice a restoration as I believe mortal men can hope to possess, and actually drive, but the market is very niche.  It was the third most expensive offering in the lineup that year, but the market for these "Big" cars has not presented itself yet.  The production on this piece was only 1,010 units, but lessor cars bring much more demand and money.  It is what it is.
  As mentioned earlier, buy something you really like, and enjoy. If you are looking for a fast return on your investment, good luck in this economy.  I have nearly $40,000 invested in my auto, not counting the 300 or 400 hours of personal time. Haven't had an inquirey when listed at hard cost. But running that big cruiser down the e-way at 75+ is a thrill, and worth the money and effort. And I have yet to see another anywhere I've taken this car.
Kelly Martin
Kelly Martin
1957 Fleetwood 75
2008 DTS

Big Fins

Otto...Where do you come up with a '9 window'? My 6329 SDV is modeled as a 6 window, but it really has 10.

I think a 9 window would be quite valuable.

Fins

Otto Skorzeny

That's a very rare asymmetrical design - The Pablo Picasso edition. They're worth a fortune today!

I'll go and correct that.
fward

quadfins

And when you do correct that post, make sure that you clearly state what you edited, or else some readers might suspect a conspiracy... >:D
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Otto Skorzeny

Already did.

Can you tell what was changed? Are you going to lose sleep over not knowing?

Oh the humanity!
fward