News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1941 Cadillac steering column question

Started by Bob Hoffmann CLC#96, October 19, 2008, 01:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

I'm in the process of restoring the column on my 41 cpe. The directional support plate mounts to the upper housing with several small screws. The plate has several brass & rubber grommets in those holes. The rubber pieces are gone. Any ideas? Thanks, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Dave Shepherd

May not apply to your needs, but if you need insulated washers I have modified and used faucet washers in horn rings and signal switches.

Bob Schuman

Bob,
The rubber grommets are necessary to allow a little bit of flexibility in the switch mounting, otherwise the automatic cancelling feature will not work right. I learned this from experience, but it was so long ago I don't recall what I used for rubber grommets. Steele Rubber and probably others have a large variety of grommets, so that may be a source.
Bob Schuman #254
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Doug Houston

Bob;

Check out AuVeCo products. They're a repackaging outfit, and you'd be surprised at the stuff they have in their catalogue. Many parts suppliers carry the line, and when you find such a dealer, they can order anything you want from the catalogue.  They DO have many sizes of rubber grommets. For instance, last year, when I was having my '41 convertible coupe repainted, I got the 7/8" I.D. grommets from them for the front fenders where the headlight wiring comes through. They also have the exact weatherstrip for the decklid on that car. Check 'em out.

http://www.auveco.com/
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929