News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

56 cad motor & part prices

Started by 64red, October 20, 2008, 10:15:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

64red

Got a 56 motor and motor parts, dose anyone know where I can find a good site so can get general idea what its worth.Its out of 56 fleetwood.
S.Meek 64 Fleetwood

Otto Skorzeny

I know of no website that will help you determine the value of your engine. As with anything else, it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay.

Having said that, there is not a huge market for 1956 Cadillac engines. It isn't in universal demand like a Chevy 350. It's not a particularly rare and powerful engine like a 427 Cobra Jet or 426 Hemi.

In other words, hot rodders and customizers are not out scanning the internet for 1956 Cadillac 365s. About the only car in which you will find one of these engines is a 1956 Cadillac. That narrows your customer base considerably.

Since most cars that are worth spending the time and money on to restore already have an engine, the potential customer base shrinks even more. Why buy another engine of unknown condition when you can just rebuild the one you already have?

I'm afraid your engine will really only be wanted by someone who has a 56 Caddy without an engine or has one in such poor condition that it cannot be rebuilt. The parts of your engine that will be in greatest demand are the mounting brackets, pulleys, and ancillary components. The heads may also be desirable to someone who has cracked his.

Remember also that you'll probably have to find a buyer locally since the cost and effort to ship such a heavy object anywhere will be cost prohibitive. It's quite a different story than if it were a 1932 V16 engine.

The internal parts are all available brand new (crank excepted) so the block is the only part someone is likely to reuse. If it's not seized up, you may be able to sell it for $100 -$200. Check out ebay and Hemmings to get a rough idea about what you can expect to sell it for.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

jaxops

Quote from: 64red on October 20, 2008, 10:15:42 AM
Got a 56 motor and motor parts, dose anyone know where I can find a good site so can get general idea what its worth.Its out of 56 fleetwood.

EBay is probably your best bet to get an idea of what is going and what isn't selling.  You will readily see what is hanging around with zero bids.  The things that go fast are pieces with good photos and no reserves.  Risky, but the best way to move a piece out that you don't need reserve protection on.  Remember that it gives you a ballpark of what is selling at what price things can go for.  Sometimes one part sells, and then everyone is selling that part, so there is a "glut." Secondly, I would check catalogues for pricing of new or repaired/restored parts to help with original part value.   Good luck.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA