News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Vacuum Antenna Questions

Started by Ron Draper, October 22, 2008, 12:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Draper

Howdie,

I have some more vacuum antenna questions.

I have one date stamped Feb of 51 and one that is Oct of 53.  They both look identical to me.

Where can I get new masts for them?

The aluminum tube - were they painted or shiny?

Are the chrome mounting nut and parts available NOS or aftermarket - who and where?

Thanks for your time to read this.

Ron

Doug Houston

The aluminum cylinder was unpainted. It would be very wise to do it in a good primer; possibly Zinc Chromate, and a Polyurethatne enamel. Probably something like Imron is what i have in mind. On the 1941 and later cars, the antenna was mounted in the fender, and received some splash from the road. Since Aluminum is an active metal and corrodes easily, it needs to have a good protective coating.

On the mast, this could be a sticky question. Years ago, I bought new ones from Cadillac. but that was in the seventies, so this is no help tpo anyone now. They were supplied with the piston. I never knew who made those antennae for Cadillac. The same ones were used on Lincoln Continentals some years.

The chromium mounting nut might be gotten from a junk antenna.  There are lots of them around in trashed condition.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

My 54 antenna has a non original mast on it, I think someone in the past matched the size of it with maybe an antenna from a travel trailer [radio one , not TV !!] . I got mine to work , the piston seal was fine, but the thin rubber that acts as a valve had gone hard - I cut a new one from a bit of old inner tube. I got a new chrome top nut from McVeys.
Phil