News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Color and trim codes on 54 Fleetwood

Started by Art Gardner, October 22, 2008, 03:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Gardner

A 1954 Fleetwood is painted black with what appears to be a dark green cloth interior.  Data plate in engine bay says paint code 1   0, trim code 81Y. 

What does paint code "1   0" specify?  1 is black on a 54, while 10 is Cabot Gray.  Could this be a mistake and it should have been 1 and 10? (a two tone car)?

Trim code 81 is gray two tone cloth (not green).  But what does the "Y" signify?

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Art,

Since we know that there is no paint code "0", we can only conclude one of the following:

1. The two numbers,   1         0   are really a stretched out number ten, in which case the entire car was painted Cabot Grey when new.
2. The two numbers represent a two tone combination of  1 (Black) and another  special order color not specified but represented by (0)
3. The two numbers represent  a single color 1 (Black) and no two tone  0 (Zero)

In my opinion, the number is a ten that got stretched out.

I know that in the salesmen's order sheet, a special exterior color was to be designated by typing "0" in the space for the color order and then listing the complete name and number of the custom color. Was that "0" then stamped on the tag? I don't think so but I may be wrong.

I also don't think a single exterior color was represented by a color code and a zero. That wouldn't make a lot of sense and as we see would be confusing. Therefore, I think your car was painted in a single exterior color, number 10, Cabot Grey.

That also fits in with the interior code, 81 being two tone grey cloth.

I haven't been able to determine what the "Y" means. I've never seen that before.

I don't think the stamping was a mistake that left off  a number one.

My guess is that the car was repainted and re-upholstered at some point in its life.

Can you post a photo of the tag?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Art,

I agree with all the advice you’ve received thus far, but would offer other possibilities. There was a ’54 two-tone combination, Code 10Y, that was Cabot Gray roof with Biscay Green lower body…..The “Y” may have been misplaced. This combination could have come through with green interior.  The 81 trim code is light gray nylon crest cloth in the pleated sections, with dark gray broadcloth bolsters. The gray interior could have been selected based on owner’s preference. I believe the “Y’ indicates that your car has the optional 4 way power seat. If it does not, the “Y” may be misplaced and should have been on the paint code. In ’54, standard Fleetwood interiors had light color pleats, with darker broadcloth bolsters. The lighter color pleats were either broadcloth, or the nylon crest cloth. The interior colors were gray, blue, green and brown. If you have something different, I believe it has been reupholstered. If the paint or interior were not standard, it was usually designated on the trim plate by “SO” signifying Special Order.

Lou makes an interesting point about errors on the trim plate. I’ve looked at many, but not enough to prove my observations definitively. I believe that during the 50’s and 60’s accessories that were standard on upper range models were listed as optional accessories on the trim plate of lower price models. That explains why a particular accessory, “X”, will be listed on the trim plate of a 62 Series model  but not be on a de Ville or Eldorado plate when both cars have the accessory. However, my observation would not explain an accessory being shown on the plate but being absent on the vehicle. I haven’t run into such an example yet.

You might try removing an interior door panel to see the color. If you’re planning on painting the car, you might want to wet sand a section of the roof and body with 600 paper to reveal the paint layers beneath.

HTH,

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Ralph,

To add even more confusion to the mix, the 1954 color chart that I'm looking at shows the combination 10Y as being Norman Grey (Iridescent) and Cabot Grey.

In fact, the combination that you mentioned, Cabot Grey and Biscay Green is listed as 8K.

What Gives?

I'll try to email this color code information to both of you.
fward

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Ralph and Art,

I just emailed a book of paint and trim codes in PDF format to you both. You can read it with Acrobat.

I'd be really interested to find out why your source, Ralph, differs from this one on that Grey/Green color combo.

Who knows what GM was doing back then. Who knows what they're doing now for that matter! ...Buying Chrysler? Sheeesh!

Forrest
fward

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Guys,

My source is and excellent pair of eyes and glasses, but a brain that doesn’t process correctly. I’m using the ’57 Master Parts Book and when I checked, you are correct; 10Y is two tone gray. I read the wrong line.

I’m not aware, but it’s possible a distant relative is the guy who stamped the trim plate for Art’s car……

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon