News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'41 Cadillac shock-absorber rebuild info wanted.

Started by Kevin, October 22, 2008, 07:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Is there any information available on overhauling '41 Cadillac shockabsorbers? The arms on the front shocks are welded together during production. I assume these must be cut apart to dismantle the unit?......Kevin

Jeff Maltby 4194

The arms must be cut to disassemble is correct. These units were never meant to be rebuilt back then. I had my 49 front shocks rebuilt in 1989 by Apple Motors with heavy duty valving (an extra cost) for $187 shipped.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Kevin

Thanks Jeff, I know there are places that can rebuild these shocks but as I live in New Zealand the cost is prohibitive. Apart from the freight, our dollar has slumped to US50c now - it was 80c a few months ago. Something to do with a global recession courtesy of sub-prime mortgage fiasco! Somehow I expected to be swamped with replies telling me how to go about it. Guess I was wrong.
Kevin.

Roger H

Hello Kevin
I may have just gotten lucky but my 36 shock felt loose and moved easilly,  After flushing it with thin oil and refilling it, it now works.  Have you cleaned the spool valve and checked the oil level?  You may get lucky also

Roger
Roger Hundtoft
1936 Fleetwood 8509
Lynnwood Wa

Warren Rauch

Cadillac sold these lever shocks on an exchange basis only, this means they did not expect them to be repaired ,only replaced. This also means parts to rebuild are not avalible. The only things they serviced was fluid and valves. As someone has suggested ,drain it flush it ,  refill it. You can reset the valves by taking the end caps off and turn the valve on its seat 90 degrees.If it leaks fluid or the arm needs rebushing this won't solve the problem.
  I had a nos front shock for my 1947 Chev Sedan Delivery that leaked when I put it on. I cut the weld with a die grinder. The 2 arms were under pressure and sprung a couple inches when the weld was cut. The arm came off with a puller . I found a seal and reinstalled the arm.Then in a large vise I was able to realign the arms. Next I installed the pivot pin to be sure it would fit. With it in place I electric welded the arms back together.It has work fine ever since.
National Service Data does have a little information if you can find a copy,but it is very general . If you can't find a copy I  can copy mine if you give me an address. Warren

CEC #20099

CEC #20099
Lever Shocks - Austin Healey`s of the 50`s used similar lever shocks. Maybe someone in England
does them at a more reasonable price. I had my 39 Buick units rebuilt by Apple, & they work great.

Kevin

Thank you for replying. That's good advice,Warren. The shocks work OK, just leak and make a mess. I use the correct Penrite oil but too often for my liking. I will dismantle a back one first to make sure I can find the right seal. Any written information you can find will be much appreciated. Email: caseyleadlights@xtra.co.nz    .......................Kevin

sam calderon

There are a couple of places i found but the cost was about $180.00 each i will be glad to go over my restoration project and find the name for you give me a couple of days thank you sam