News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Bought '78 pewter with red leather Seville

Started by david.randall, October 26, 2008, 06:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

david.randall

Hello,

I've been a member of the CLC-Main and Vancouver Island Cadillac Club  -- http://bccadillacclub.ca/ -- for two years, and I just bought a rust-free, 85K mile pewter with red leather '78 Seville from a club member who isn't able to drive anymore. The Seville needs some F.I. tweaking and fresh paint, but it's in great shape generally and runs well when warmed-up; It'll make a great second car when I park my VW diesel commuter after work.

I grew up in Cadillacs, with my Father having a '62 black/black/black convertible and a '66 white/white/white convertible, and my cousin having a '56 series-75 Limousine (I wish he knew where that gorgeous car ended up after selling it). Both my Father's Caddys succumbed to the rust-worm in Ontario years ago, and it was time I finally had my own.

What I'll be looking for over the next few years is a 1924 - 1941 Caddy four-door sedan or limousine (up to 1956 if it's a series-60s or 75).

Thanks,

David Randall
David Randall, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Cadillac Club of BC - Vancouver Island (http://bccadillacclub.ca/)

01/78 Seville Pewter Poly with Red Leather VIN: 6S69B8Q472289

TJ Hopland

Sounds like a nice addition to your collection.   What I always hear about those EFI systems is to make sure all the seals and orings are replaced on the fuel rail and injectors.  Temp sensors seem to be fairly sought after so I assume they also fail.  A failed temp sensor can make the ECU think the engine is warm when its not or vise versa and cause less than ideal operation.   I also read about people looking for the idle air control valve.  On these engines they work like an electric choke.  If thats not operating properly starting and idle wont work the way its supposed to.   3rd thing is I read in 78 electronic timing control was available (or even standard?) on the seville.  I would assume its along the lines of the systems used in the 80's and likely requires special procedures to get set properly.   I have purchased and worked on many cars where someone tried to set the timing without putting the electronics in the proper mode, setting them properly always does the trick.

How much more classic car season do you have up there?  Or is it already over?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

david.randall

Quote from: TJ Hopland on October 26, 2008, 09:30:25 AM
How much more classic car season do you have up there?  Or is it already over?

I'd say the classic car scene is active here a good nine months of the year, though many drive year-round.Vancouver Island has the most temperate climate in Canada, with Victoria at the south getting one to two snowfalls a year, but a lot of rain though; north Island definitely has more snow. It's 280 miles long north-south and about 60 miles wide.

The Cadillac Club of Vancouver Island have applied for CLC affiliate status, and I think it's been granted provisionally.

David

david.randall

I looked through the boxes of spare parts I got with the Seville, and found a spare fast idle valve, and a couple coolant/air temperature sensors. The rear temp sensor tested properly, so I changed the fast idle valve, and saw that the spring 'tab' was broken off of the old one. I think I have the cold-start problem fixed. I also did a bunch of vacuum hose re-plugging in, and the car runs beautifully. The front sensor didn't test well, but I didn't get it changed today. One of the spares seems to be ok, and a local wrecking hard has some off of a '79, so I'm picking-up the sensors, fast idle valve, and ECM from that parts car.

I got a big file folder with documentation from new! No window sticker that I can see, unfortunately.

I'll have it licenced and insured next weekend :)

Tod-NTCLC

Hi David -

Congrats on your purchase.  A couple of observations - the coolant temp sensor (the one on the front of the engine) is far more important than the air temp sensor.  The coolant temp sensor will have a profound impact on the cold-start performance of the engine.  These temp sensors are available new for about $50.00, and it makes sense to keep a good spare.  Functional fast idle valves are becoming rare, and if you locate one, you should get it.  There are some work-arounds if you do not have a working valve, but obviously a working one is preferable.  As you already found out, getting all of the vacuum lines in good working order is of utmost importance on these cars.  Once everything is in working order, you will have an engine that runs great.

Good luck, and let us know what you find out.