News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

start Classes on Fixing OLD CARS

Started by JIM T., October 27, 2008, 10:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JIM T.

10-27-08
TO: ALL OF tHE PSEUDO-ENIGINEERS out in the Land of Cadillac's & La Salle's,Before those That have first-hand Experiente at fixing these "Old Cad's & laS "pass on"or become totally out of their minds, why not start some classes to show the "younger"Machanics" how to fix these "old-iron's." I would volenteer to teach what I know,but I'am unable to walk any more, after braeaking my hip over two years ago.  It would be a chance for some of the older ones to make a little extra "folding-money" and get thier car's in "running- order" at the same-time. Who will be the first to jump OR will you leave this earth with the knowledge stored in your "gray-matter".  
Good Luck,Think it over, men. Let's hear from both group's,both the old timer & the younger guys! JIM

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Jim,

I am all in total agreeance with your suggestion and am sorry that you cannot get around.

Simply being in the CLC and participating in the Internet Forum is of great importance, as where I am here, on the other side of the world, I cannot pass on much information to other local Cadillac and LaSalle owners, as they are very few and far between.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Folks,

What we have done, and need to do again, as other regions have done is have more seminars. The last one we did in Colorado was a tune-up clinic. I was able to gather a few great volunteers and we worked on our members cars. We made the folks work with us so as to learn.

We replaced a fuel pump on a 49 (I had a spare)
We repaired two cars with carburetor problems. One Carter AFB which was float level. The other we determined it was the Quadrajet and repaired it later.
We worked on a 41 tuned it up and rebuilt the distributor.

It was fun, we all learned something, then the volunteers and I had a big boys sleep over, drank recklessly, and grilled a great meal.

John W
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Ohio57-62Sedan

Sound's good to me too.... We are loosing alot of great Mechanics out here,  I just don't think enough young people see the demand for the indrestry.  they all want that six figure salary, without the experience. and we all know too well, how little the automotive felid  pay's. I have found that this club has alot to offer just on the board alone. The guy's here really know their stuff.. I'm sure any question could be answered here, if asked.

Jim Thompson

Fantastic idea! Most mechanics these days have never worked on anything but electronic fuel injection.
1946 Cadillac model 61 fastback

JIM T.

10-29-08
TO: The Owners of " Used,Abused and Misused", Cadillacs and La Salles I want to take time to thank everyone that think it's a good idea to train the young-one in how to fix these old cars. Most of the machanics today, are only trained in re-placement of black boxes and other complete components only, they seem to think that the "computer" know all and tells all. Whart I had in mind was somewhere between what John W. used to do and what there is in a story in the June '06 issue of Popular Machnics about learning something while on vacation (story near the back)  My purpose in making this suggestion was/is not to make people mad or up-set anyone. As I'VE said on more then one occasing, "IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE what you are working on be it a "fine watch"  rocket engine or jet or an  "old car", they are made of odd-shaped peices of metal held together by screws nuts and bolts. Good Luck,JIM