News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1928 LaSalle wheel conversion from artillery to wire

Started by Bill Bickle 15098, November 02, 2008, 08:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Bickle 15098

I have an opportunity to purchase a set of wire wheels for my wood spoked wheel 1928 LaSalle. I have researched the master parts list and the conversion seems quite possible without much hassle.  Has anyone done this conversion that could tell me what problems I am about to encounter? Your advise is definitely appreciated.
1927 (7400) and 1940 (5267) LaSalles; 1949 Cadillac 6107

Wayne #17075

Hi Bill, Wayne here. I did the reverse on my car. The main problem was that I had two cars side by side...took one axle out  and put it in the other car. The thing that screwed me up was taking the stbd axle out an putting it into the port side of the next car....Turns out one side is longer then the other!! After days of pulling hair...or what's left of it, I figured out left goes to left, etc. The hubs on the two different cars or axles are different and it was easier for me to just switch the axles and seals (which I have spares of).  If it turns out that you have a good artilery wheel, let me know. One of my spares is less then wonderful...it's got sa few cracks and rot in it.
Wayne