News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

fuel line replacement

Started by Alan Harris CLC#1513, November 02, 2008, 08:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I am working on my 1940 LaSalle 5219. I have ordered a one piece fuel line from Classic Tube. It hasn't arrived yet.

I have been looking under the car and now realize that it will be very difficult to install a one piece line. Has anyone else done this? Is it possible to do in one piece? Are there any tricks I should know?

I have a 1948 Master parts Book. It appears that these were supplied in one piece by the factory. I would imagine that all of the flathead era cars are similar. Thanks

Fred Zwicker #23106

If necessary to splice a fuel line, do NOT use compression fittings under any circumstances.  A compression fitting has the small  (usually brass) round tapered tubular part that squeezes when fittings are tightened.

While no splices are preferred, a properly installed flare fitting can probably be used (unless others have a better idea).  I installed new steel fuel lines on my recent 1939 LaSalle restoration and did not have to do any splicing, but we had a lift and most of the body was off.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

TJ Hopland

I talked to a vendor about brake lines one time and they told me that sometimes you can not get them installed in one piece with out taking things apart (like lifting the body).  The reason they sell them in one piece is to match the factory design for those doing a body off restoration.  That particular vendor would cut and flare them wherever you wanted to make shipping and install easier. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Doug Houston

Last  year, I had new brake lines installed on my '41-62 convertible coupe. I didn't replace the fuel line, but perhaps I should have. I used stainless steel lines, because I don't want to have any more surprises, like pinholes rusted in lines to the rear.

I bought my lines from Inline Tube, in Washington, Michigan.  I was able to pick up the lines. They were around $175.00 for the set. When I had them installed, the mechanic told me that the fittings fell right into place, as though they'd come right from Cadillac. Ultimately, those lines will be on all my cars.

They also make fuel lines for many cars. They have a website, and catalogue pages. Holding my breath about it, but I think thay make handbrake cables, too.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Jeff Maltby 4194

I'm in the process of installing new Inline Tube brake and fuel lines on my 49 coupe. None of the front brake lines were close less the 8" line, thus I bent them all by hand to make them fit. The main fuel line came in a coil for shipping purposes. On a 49, this line attaches to the outside of the left frame, so I see no problems installing it ?
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Roger H

Hello Allan

I am in the process of a body off restoration of my 36 8509,  If yours is simular, it would be darn near impossible to install with the body on.
I think your best hope is to hide your splice best you can.   Possibly cut your old line and remove it in 2 pieces, then cut the new line in the same spot and install.
If you can get the old one out (without bending it too much)   you should be able to get the  new one in the same way

Roger
Roger Hundtoft
1936 Fleetwood 8509
Lynnwood Wa

Don Boshara #594

Fred is correct about not using compression fittings, but if you're going to use flare fittings make sure you double flare them.
1940 Sixty Special
1966 Mustang Cpe

Fred Zwicker #23106

Quote from: Don Boshara #594 on November 06, 2008, 12:46:47 PM
Fred is correct about not using compression fittings, but if you're going to use flare fittings make sure you double flare them.
I agree 100% - just forgot to mention this in my post, but Don is correct. 

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Glen

What is the concern about using compression fittings? 

Glen     
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Glen

So do flare fittings unless you tighten them up properly.  I don’t remember specifically using compression fittings on a fuel line but I could have.  I would remember if I had a problem with them leaking. 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104