News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

$$ Value 39 61 coupe solid but ruff, Olds engine, sitting 10+ yrs all apart

Started by T Dunn, November 03, 2008, 09:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Dunn

I have been told of a 39 Opera Coupe (series 61 ?? ) avail that was started to be resto modded in the late 50's. It has 54 Olds V8 against std trans, no interior, pitted chrome/potmetal , and sitting for 40 yrs un finished .  Glass for pattern only, floors need attention, am told body is solid but looks nasty. Owner askins $9500 for the shell and pile of parts taken off car.  It is unknown for sure if all trim/parts are there.  Orig engine is LONG gone.
     Does anyone out there have a logical opinion as to what a rolling basket case (but restoreable) without original engine should bring, or in my case, offered ??  I have to travel a few hundred miles to see it and do not wish to waste sellers nor my time if not worth the asking.  Having done a few cars a few years ago, ie: 1941 60 Special,  and know what I had to invest in paint job and chrome work and the car was all there, no rust, excellent potmetal and stainless, and VG interior, and am leary of his asking price.

Any help here will be appreciated.
T D

baxterculver

TD,
I checked my 2007 Collector Car Price Guide.  What you have described is a Condition 6 "Parts Car", and worth about $1280.  Even if it was a #5, it would be a $3840 car.  A #1 Cad 61 Coupe is listed at $32,000.  If it was a Series 90, with a V-16 in place, it might be worth the asking price.  But, it ain't a Fleetwood bodied V-16.

I would look up several price guides, print out the prices for the condition described, and make the guy an offer backed up with your data.     

baxter culver clc#17184

Fred Zwicker #23106

T.D.

I guess the question is whether you plan to utilize the Olds engine and complete the retro process, or want to attempt to bring the car back to original?  If you want to get it back to original, it will probably cost you at least double the final value of the car after restoration, even if car was given to you as a gift.  If you plan to just get it running (using existing engine and transmission) and give it a quick fixup, I still feel that the cost is quite high, if your description represents the present condition of the car.  

IMO, it just seems like far too much work on the horizon unless you can get the car at a "friendlier price".  Even then, it might pay you to keep looking, as it is a buyer's market and something more complete might surface elsewhere.

I was thinking that if you deducted $200 for each of the 40 years in storage ($8000), the end price of $1500 is more like what I would consider and even then, am not sure that I would want to undertake such a project.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com