News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

80s Seville/Eldo Wire Wheel Covers Question

Started by Mike Shawgo, November 03, 2008, 03:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Shawgo

Hi everyone,

I finally got tired of hearing the clicking and rattlling of the locking wire wheel covers on my 85 Seville.   I purchased 4 of the standard wheel covers for the 85 Seville (which I believe were the "standard" wheel covers if you didn't order the locking wire wheel covers) to replace them so now I have a nice quiet ride.

When I removed the wire wheel covers, I also removed the little center hub which is part of the wheel lock mechanism, and I had to remove 3 lug nuts on each wheel to get it off.  I noticed that those lug nuts are different than the other 2, and assume they are specially made to allow some movement of the lock mechanism.

My question is, should I replace those lug nuts with regular lug nuts?  I was thinking maybe they're not designed to be used without the lock mechanism.   I just don't want the wheels to be damaged (or have the wheel come off!).   Also, if I decide to sell the wire wheel covers, would a buyer need those particular lug nuts to install them on their car?

--Mike

Ohio57-62Sedan

If you plan on keeping the covers the luggs will work fine for you, they are special for the Lock adaptor but the lug is the same

TJ Hopland

Like John said the nut is pretty much the same except it as that washer like flange built in to hold that locking hub thing.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

RobW

If your lock bolt under the caddy crest is tight enough those adapters should not make any noise. Are you sure all the spokes are tight?
Rob Wirsing

76eldo

It's usually the caps themselves that are noisy because the spokes get loose.

The 80/81 caps stick out a lot, the 83/84/85 ones are much flatter and are less troublesome.

I bought some NOS caps for my 80 Eldo, and I hope that when I put them on the noise goes away.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Mike Shawgo

Thanks for all your replies.  I've had several suggestions for getting them quieter--using grease, etc., but I just couldn't see going to all the trouble trying remedies that may or may not work.   Some of the noise sounded like ticking, but there was also rattling which sounded like the lock adapter inside.   Everything seemed to be tight--I also had the tires rotated by a Cadillac garage, and even after they put them back on, it was the same noise.   Of course it was more noticeable in the summer with the windows down.  The car is quiet with the windows up, but just knowing that people hear me coming down the street bugs me.

After the fact--I just noticed that the website www.ehubcaps.com sells an adapter for the locking wire wheel covers which looks totally different than the ones I removed.   I wish I had seen them before, I might have tried them.

--Mike

Ohio57-62Sedan

I have stuffed cardboard in the center hub around the lock nut before, it work for awhile but will get soggy after sometime..