News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1978 Brougham passenger side mirror

Started by srtdc, November 06, 2008, 02:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srtdc

Great forum... Everyone trying to help each other...
Can anyone explain how to reattach the mirror glass to the housing for a 1978 Fleetwood remote passenger side mirror?  There are 4 tiny holes on the back of the mirror, 2 above and 2 below the round arm that sits in the mechanism that moves the mirror. What holds the mirror in place and how can it be done? The glass and back are fine, the housing is fine.  The mirror came off after while someone was "vigorously" cleaning it and pushed it too far.  Thanks...

mgbeda

If I understand your description right the whole mirror with it's backing plate has come out of the housing (as opposed to the glass mirror coming off the metal backing plate).  This is held in by tension in the four wires that connect to the inside mirror controller on the other end.  It sounds like one of these wires broke or came off the backing plate.

Unfortunately I don't know of a way to fix these wires once they are broken.  On my '76 the wires were cut by a dumb body shop (who probably figured they could be spliced like an electric wire).  I ended up replacing the mirror with a junkyard one with it's cable intact.  The cable then had to be threaded through the door and dashboard.  It was a pain.  If anyone does know of a way to splice these cables it would be good to find out.

If you're not concerned about originality I think it might be easier to replace the mirror with an electric one off a later Brougham.  Electric cables are a lot easier to work with than mechanical ones.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)