News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 ignition switch removal

Started by Mark Wheeler #20241, November 07, 2008, 05:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Wheeler #20241

I want to removal the ignition switch from our 41 series 62 coupe. How do you get the switch out. I can't see anything the is obvious behind the dash and there is not a lot of room to move back there.

Thanks

Mark

Bill Ingler #7799

Looking at the front of the ignition switch and you will see a ring separate from the chrome part of the switch that holds the key. The ring is called a bezel and it is threaded to the outer part of the ignition switch. This bezel also has 3, what I call dimples, around the outside of the bezel. Take a small drift and lightly tap on one of the dimples in the bezel counter clockwise and that should loosen the bezel enough and allow you turn off the bezel by hand. With the bezel, off the ignition switch will push inward through the instrument panel. If your switch is original then it will have the metal armored cable attached to the ignition switch and the other end of this armored cable will be to the cap which is attached to the coil. It will be necessary to remove the cap from the coil and disconnect the wire inside this cable from the coil. This armored cable comes through the fire wall through a large rubber grommet. You will need to remove this grommet from the fire wall and then pull the ignition switch with cable/grommet through the fire wall towards the engine. Takes some time and if your car has the original wiring, then take extra caution when you disconnect the old wire from both the coil and ingnition switch as it is easy to crack and loosen the old insulation.

Mark Wheeler #20241

Hi Bill

Thanks for the reply. It is a short in the Armor cable that I am trying to get around and you warning about the old wiring is true. Every time I touch it another part of the insulation falls off. I have bitten the bullet and ordered a new wiring harness and will now replace all the wiring and start again. Hopefully it will arrive in a couple of weeks in Oz and the car will be back on the road by Xmas.

Thanks

Mark

baxterculver

Mark,
Your new wiring harness will probably not include the wire for inside the armored cable.  To replace that, you will need to disassemble the switch/cable assembly itself.  Not an easy task.  I opted to have mine done by a local.   But there are others who can do the work.  One person to talk with is Marty Watkins, of the CLC club.
baxter culver clc#17184