News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

MY 41 RADIATOR

Started by paulp, November 09, 2008, 01:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulp

For about the last two years I have been, slowly, bringing my 41 Conv. back from a less than perfect car and am now looking at the cooling system.  The thermostat is missing and the large hole on the tank has been covered with a rather unattractive metal plate.  The Shutters, fixed in the full open position and actuation linkage appear ok and the car has not overheated on a 90 degree day in the mountains.  So! why am I telling you all this?  Because the local Cadillac store does not have a new 1941 radiator in stock and does not except any in the near future.  SO - I need to find a radiator or some parts to repair mine.  I guess that would be a boss with six studs or six female threads and a cover to fit over the hole and fix the thermostat to the tank.  I could make this stuff in my shop if I had a drawing or some dimensions to go by.  If one of you 41 guys out there could help me I really would appreciate it.  Thanks for listening to my latest problem.   -   Paul  CLC 23300  - 
Paul N. Price   CLC 23300

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Paul: I would think that the first thing I would try is to find the parts needed from either Coopers or All Cads. Not saying that parts can`t be made but your chances of finding drawings is remote and to make the accuating plate/ accuating arm that fits over and holds the thermostat, you would need another in your hands for reference. I think the only place to buy a new repo 41 thermostat is from All Cads. Each web site is below.Ebay under 41 Cadillac Parts every so often will have a radiator listed. Also here are two pictures showing the thermostat in the radiator and a NOS thermostat. As you can see, the accuating cover plate would be difficult to make.

http://www.coopersvintage.com/pdf/1941.pdf
http://www.allcads.com/

paulp

Thanks Bill:
I failed to mention that I did buy a new thermostat.  Also, the rod and clevis is there, so I think all I need is the cover and the gasket, or maybe it's two gaskets.  Of course I don't know what I'll find when I de-solder the ugly plate covering the hole.  Maybe I'll get lucky and the attachment hole pattern will still be there.  I will however continue to look on Ebay for a good radiator.  Thanks for your help.             -  Paul  -
Paul N. Price   CLC 23300

Bill Podany #19567

Paul,

The most reliable, trustworthy, and knowledgeable source for parts for a 41 Cadillac is Charlie Babcock from Sarasota, FL.  I can personally verify spending thousands of dollars with him over a ten year period to fully restore a 41 60 Special.  He knows these cars and can be of great help to you.  He has different quality for different price levels; his service is slow, but always dependable.  Call him only in the mornings prior to noon eastern time.  Contact: 941-356-4990; Fax: 941-349-5751.  Hope this helps you.

Bill Podany
Knoxville, TN
1941 60 Special Fleetwood
1955 Eldorado