News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Garage lifts

Started by Ralph Messina CLC 4937, November 09, 2008, 05:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

I’m considering buying  a four post, 7000 lb. capacity lift for my home garage. I’ve received a number of recommendations and am considering the following brands: Classic Auto Lift, Stinger, Eagle and Backyard Buddy. I’d appreciate anyone who has, or is very familiar with these brands, contacting me to share their experience and opinions. Please write me off line at rfm45@optonline.net so there are no issues about negative comments.

Thanks,
Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

TJ Hopland

Im just curious what reasons you are going with a 4 post vs. a 2?   I did not have the height for either so I did not put much thought into it.  I think I would go with a 2 post if I had the height.  I ended up with a Kwiklift which is basically just a big old set of ramps.  My main goal is service work but if you were mainly going for storage or detail work I could see the 4 post maybe working better.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TJ Hopland

Forgot to add, In my area the last few months there have been a pretty steady stream of auctions that include lifts.  I have seen some very nice looking heavy duty lifts going for around $1000.  Many are even single phase power.  The couple I looked at were almost 10K new.  The one I was bidding on was 3phase but I did some research and found I could trade in on a single phase motor for $200.  It ended up going to a guy that bought most everything in the auction for $2400.  That was just more than I could spend on something I could not use right away.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

For one thing, a 2 post lift requires a much thicker reinforced concrete floor than usually found in a homeowner's garage whereas a 4 poster, because it is inherently more stable, can be set up on just about any hard surface. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

76eldo

Ralph,

I built a custom garage behind my house, 36 X 32 with a vaulted ceiling, and installed a lift.  The slab was thicker and level to accommodate a 2 post lift.  If you are looking to work on your cars, a 2 post is preferred.  For storage, a 4 post is preferred.  I looked at a bunch of them, and I bought a 9000 LB Western commercial unit.  My mechanic was downsizing his shop, and had one a few years old.  It cost me $1500.00 plus another $600.00 to have it taken down, and reinstalled at my home by a professional, and well worth it.  I was doing research before this one came up.

Backyard Buddy, made in Warren, Ohio (Birthplace of the Packard Automobile), builds, I think, the best unit, although you will pay more for it.

Working on my cars, and even cleaning them is so much easier now, it was well worth the cost.

Hope this helps,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Dave Shepherd

I have both a 2 and 4 post lifts in 2 shops I have.  Yes the 2 post is ideal for working on the vehicle, especially with the full assymetrical arms, you will need this for the X frame cars.  The 4 post is great for just undercarriage access, but it blocks many functions as the ramp/deck are in the way, you need to figure out the predominate usage to choose here.  Either one will give an extra car space for storage.

TonyZappone #2624

I installed a four post Direct Lift in my Florida building, about a year ago.  At the time it was $5500 delivered and installed.  It is a very heavy 8000 lb capacity,  although it might be 7000 (drive on).  There was initially some carlessness in the installation which was remidied in two days with a visit by the maintainance head person.  The value is incredible, it probably is Chinese, and quite frankly i am too old to fight that crap anymore.  Its time to think about me.  It raises my 6000 lb Pierce Arrow nicely.   Google Direct Lift.  Tony CLC2624
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Jim Garner

I bought a Direct Lift two post from Greg Smith Equipment Company for $1395. I picked it up at their warehouse and my grandson and I installed it in one day and we had never done it before. We were able to manhandle it without a hoist or other lifting device. It is model number OH8000 or an 8000 pound lift with asymmetrical arms. It works very well, but requires 12' ceiling height. A lift is a great addition to any garage.
Jim

Ted in Olympia WA

I purchased a Bend Pak from this company a couple of years ago and could not be happier.  I think for most you only need a 4 inch slab, I have about 5 in my garage.  The model I got is extra wide and tall, XP-10CX-168.  All the prices include shipping but for some reason if you call them up they will take a little off the internet price.  I also got the transmission jack, and oil drain tool and later I purchased a tire changer from the same company.  All were very good deals.  The also carry the four post but I would sure do the two post if you can make it work.

I sure wish I still had this much room in the shop.

http://www.asedeals.com/index.html

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

Otto Skorzeny

That's a beautiful Jeepster. I've always wanted one of those.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE