News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'55 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Started by njones, November 11, 2008, 03:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njones

Here's a problem someone out there might be able to help me with. I'm in the process of finishing up the restoration of the trunk in my '55 but need help with the colors used.

As far as I can determine Cadillac only offered one color scheme in the Coupes that year and that was Taupe. I have a sample of the trunk cardboard that I removed from my parts car but it is a poor match for the Cobalt Blue exterior. Were any other colors available? and does anyone have pictures of a stock trunk?

I plan to order the kit from Jenkins and could ask them to go with another color but this may not be technically correct.

Appreciate any help I can get,

Nigel Jones, Canada
Nigel

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Are you certain about all of your interior colors?  If not, then post a pic of your data
plate and we'll decode it for you and tell you what SHOULD be there.  I'm familiar
with Colbalt Blue (nice color) but do not know all of the posible combinations.
However, I can look then up from you tag.

Let us know!

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

njones

Hi Mike, my problem is the tag on my parts car was missing so don't have the codes. I do know the exterior was cobalt blue as I matched it with a color chip chart. The interior ( which I'm duplicating ) was the "Glamour Fabric" option, medium blue leather and cloth with silver Cadillac "V"'s. Painted surfaces were Minuet Blue ( Light Color ) and Countess Blue ( Dark color ) with darker carpeting and package tray ( matching carpet, stock ).

None of these go well with "Taupe" in the trunk but that may have been the only option.

Nigel
Nigel

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

A blue trunk fabric that's correct for the '55 is available.  See Jenkins Upholstery.
BTY, countess blue (dark tone) and minuet blue (light tone) are correct for
you car.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Warren Rauch

I'll refer you to the Cadillac parts book  to group 34.9500. I'm looking at a 1960 copy,but any year near that will be the same. It lists parts for the trunk lining and the only color except convertable models for 1954-55 is tan. If you had either convert , you could choose from tan , red ,black or blue.Warren

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Warren:

You're right -- I looked it up and double checked you.  Tan was correct for all
but the convertibles.  My '55 is an Eldorado, thus had blue available as a correct
trunk liner. Section 34.9510 of the parts manual.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
2011 Buick Lucerne CX

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Hi Lou:

Hmmmmm -- seems like I've seen that trunk before.  Let me go down to
the garage and check...........

BTY, you're right about some exceptions.  The series 75 in 1955 offered
a few colors and also the Fleetwood 60S (6019X) offered blue, green and tan.
Of course, the Eldorado and convertibles offered all colors, including
those as well as red and black.

Also, as you point out, in 1956, just about all colors were available
on the Fleetwood sedans (6019X series) and of course the convertibles.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
2011 Buick Lucerne CX

njones

Thx for all the info, looks like Tan was correct for the CDV's. I have a sample  so will probably go with this to stay correct.

Nigel
Nigel