News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

59 caddy eldorado Engine ID

Started by MichaelJBak, November 11, 2008, 10:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelJBak

we just bought a 59 seville, i read that the VIN is on the driver side of the engine above the edge of the oil pan, if this is right how do i go about getting to it , the water pump hose seems to be in the way.. i also read theres a number on the driver side behind the head towards to the firewall. any help would be great.

Otto Skorzeny

The id is stamped on a boss on the front corner of the block. It's probably dirty but it can be seen if you look straight down at it. You might have to take steel wool or something to make the numbers visible.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

MichaelJBak

front corner of the block? is that near the driver side head, or down near the oil pan?

MichaelJBak

i went out there and looked for it. so far i cant see anything. is this something i need to remove the lower  waterpump hose to see on the driver side?

The Tassie Devil(le)

The Engine Number is stamped at the top rear right hand side of the flange where the Bell Housing of the Transmission attaches.

Also, on the side of the Block as you said, but half way between the front and the back so the Water Pump hoses isn't in the way.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Otto Skorzeny

Duh... I don't know what the heck I was thinking when I wrote front corner. Sorry about that Micheal.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

MichaelJBak

sorry just not understanding, but halfway between the front and the back...wouldnt that be under the exhaust manifold?  ???  and its for sure on the driver side right? any pictures of this area? thanks for the engine number on the rear. thats going to be a whole different number correct?

Dave Shepherd

It is just above the pan rail l/s of the block about midway the length of the block itself, hard to see, got to really clean the area off.

MichaelJBak

thanks for the info, will try to check it out today. sounds like a tough area to get in there with the exhaust manifold. 

MichaelJBak

the side of the block will have the VIN, but the rear number is different i hear. does someone have a breakdown on those numbers? this is off an eldorado seville with tri power

Dave Shepherd

Same car I am presently working on in my shop, the one on the side of the block should start with 59 H then your vin. The other one is the engine unit number, either 9QX or 9QK for the tri power, if LC is denoted that is a low compression export engine. If the is an * before the engine unit number it is a .010 overbore.

MichaelJBak

well so far i got the rear engine number, its the 9Qx. pain in the butt to get to. had to remove the tri power air cleaner and really jump in the engine compartment.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Yes, sometimes, one has to be a contortionist, or really tall and gangly to get around the wide expanse of metal, and those hinges can be an obstacle.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Now for the hard part, and don't forget the Jackstands.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

MichaelJBak

thanks for all the help. chassis number matches engine  :)