News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

How to install factory Cruise Control on '78 Seville

Started by david.randall, November 14, 2008, 11:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david.randall

All,

I bought a '78 Seville from a neighbour who can't drive anymore, and realized it doesn't have cruise control! I didn't think Caddy's came without cruise. I have access to three parts-car Sevilles with cruise; are there any tricks I need to know to get one or parts of all three systems into my Seville?

Thanks,

David
David Randall, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Cadillac Club of BC - Vancouver Island (http://bccadillacclub.ca/)

01/78 Seville Pewter Poly with Red Leather VIN: 6S69B8Q472289

76eldo

I think it may be a complicated process, and you may have to remove the wiring harness under the hood, and replace it with one from the parts car with all of the underhood components.  Might not be very easy.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

I think part of the 78+ system involves an optical pick up in the speedo head itself in the dash. Not sure if its something that is plug in or if the whole cluster would have to be changed.   There is also a module and the switch(s).
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

David, the first thing to do is buy a shop manual for the car. The cruise trouble shooting & repair portion will help a lot. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

76eldo

If you are doing a lot of highway driving with the car, and want to install this for function, there are aftermarket kits that would be easier to install.  I put one in a1968  Buick Skylark I had back in the 80's, so I assume the kits are still available.  From what I remember, it wasn't that hard.

If you are wanting to install the cruise to upgrade the value of the car, I wouldn't bother because it sounds like a lot of work, not a simple plug and play.

If you remove the complete system and all associated parts and wiring from the donor car and save it all, that's a good idea, but like Bob Hoffman stated, get the manua first so you can see what the complete system includes and what would be involved.

Brianl

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

david.randall

I want the cruise control for function, but I want to keep the car reasonably stock. This car is in lovely shape, but is a but of a 'stripper' except for leather, ride height control, and limited slip. Since there is zero rust on this car (I came from Ontario rust belt where no-rust simply wasn't an option), and my Mother who is quitting driving loves it (reminds her of driving with my Father), so I want to install some options I like.

I'm in no rush for this, and am going to strip the parts cars of many parts to complete this project. It'll be done sometime :) I'm looking at Ebay for factory manuals.

Thanks for the help,

David

TJ Hopland

78 was one of the supplement years.  Good thing is the supplement usually is what contains the electrical and accessory stuff since thats what tended to change year to year.  The supplement tells you when to refer to the 77 manual.  The 78's are a dark blue cover with silver writing top to bottom, cad crest, 1978, cadillac script, SERVICE MANUAL, supplement.    There were also preliminary manuals but they dont have as much info in them or the color pullout diagrams.  They cover is the same but says preliminary instead of supplement.   If you want/have to the full 77 manual is a white cover with a light blue border. I dont remember what color the writing was but its about 2+ inches thick.  I cant seem to find mine at the moment to give more details.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

I have installed at least 2 dozen cruise control units in various cars from Cadillacs to VW Rabbits over the years, mostly the units I used were made by DANA Corp. (sold by Sears, NAPA, JC Whitney, etc.) and are now made, I believe, by ROSTRA.  They work well and are relatively simple to install, they can easily be removed if wanted.  All that is seen on the interior of the car is the control unit that mounts to the directional signal stalk or it can be mounted separately.

I think installing an original unit in that particular car would be a masochistic exercise.

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

David #19063

I agree with Geoff.

An aftermarket CC would not significantly lower the car's value...nor would installing a factory correct one significantly increase the car's value.

Go with the least expensive and painless of the two paths.
David #19063
1996 DeVille Concours

david.randall

I will look into the aftermarket unit (it may even work better), though I'm still going to research installing the stock setup.

I need cruise because I just keep going faster and faster if I don't have it; I don't moderate the right foot well on the highway....

Thanks,

David :)

David #19063

Quote from: david.randall on November 16, 2008, 12:33:54 PM
I need cruise because I just keep going faster and faster if I don't have it; I don't moderate the right foot well on the highway....

David :)

LOL!

Many of us have that issue as well.
David #19063
1996 DeVille Concours