News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

The first 71 El dorado Ever made.

Started by Continental, November 15, 2008, 03:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Continental

I am looking at a 71 convertible..the owner has a letter from GM that states that the car is the fisrt 71 El Dorado convertible ever made. Well the first one of the assembly line.

What would a car like this be worth, if it was fully restored?

TJ Hopland

I will be curious what the experts say about this one.

Are you looking to buy it?  What are they asking?  What condition is it in now?

'Regular' 71-76 eldo converts are all over the map for price.  I see many asking $10K+ but I keep seeing the same ad over and over again so I dont think anyone is buying (at least for now).   A mostly complete decent looking driver seems to sell in the $2.5-5K range.  THe ones I see advertised on the lower side of that range go pretty quick, the high ones seem to be up there for a while but sometimes drop the asking price and sell quickly.  THese observations are from looking at ads locally and from national sources, I have no idea what the actual transactions are, Im just making assumptions based on how long the ads are up and if they get reposted at lower prices, your results may vary. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

RobW

Have you seen the letter? Remember back then letters were typed on a typewriter and not all the letters lined up evenly like they do now on computers. Wouldn't the VIN #  be able to clarify it?
Rob Wirsing

Continental

Here is the vin#

VIN # 693671Q400002

Please let me know

Thanks guy!!

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

JIM T.

11-15-08
CONTINENTAL, SORRY THAT THE FIRST TWO REPLIES DIDN'T answer your question I'LL give it a shot.  I don't put much stock in the letter supposely from GM. SIGNED by whom at GM, maybe the person never worked near the assembly line. For his signed letter, I might give the owener an exter $1.00 for it, just so I would have something to BRAG about. gOOD LUCK,Jim

Otto Skorzeny

My hunch / gut feeling is that being the first one built will not have any real effect on its value. It has some limited appeal of being a curiosity but not much more in my opinion.

The '71 Eldo isnt particularly sought after or notable as is the case with other years('53, '59 for example) so I don't see anybody really paying a premium to have the first one - all other things being equal.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Continental

Joe Manna

Guys,don't know much about Eldos.The only thing I do know is I would like to find a nice 67.But anyway,getting back to this post,according to the VIN,I would say it was the second one  off the line.I could be wrong.

Your best bet would be,to contact GM heritage center.Maybe they can help you.

Let us know how you make out.

Joe
1951 Chevrolet Bel-Air-50's Style Custom
1963 Cadillac 4 Window Sedan deVille
1991 Cadillac DW69 Brougham,All original and used daily
2015 Cadillac SRX

harvey b

Hello Joe,take a look at the modified chapters forum,look in the for sale and wanted section,there is a 67 eldo listed under "looks dry" seems like a pretty good deal to me,if it was closer i would be interested in this one,im not looking for one right now but it caught my eye.price seems good too. HTH Harvey B
Harvey Bowness

Joe Manna

Hi Harvey,thanks for the info.I will check it out.I'm glad to see I'm not the only one up early and on the board.Joe
1951 Chevrolet Bel-Air-50's Style Custom
1963 Cadillac 4 Window Sedan deVille
1991 Cadillac DW69 Brougham,All original and used daily
2015 Cadillac SRX

Matt CLC#18621

Quote from: Continental on November 15, 2008, 05:00:56 PM
Here is the vin#

VIN # 693671Q400002

Please let me know

Thanks guy!!

What's the body # on the data plate?

76eldo

Seems like they would have started with 0001, but maybe they kept that one.  I do not think that, as of right now, the first or second off the like would have any more value that any other 71, so I wouldn't spend much more than for any other 71 Eldorado.  The last Bicentennial 76 Eldo convertible would be a different store entirely.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

35-709

'The last Bicentennial 76 Eldo convertible would be a different store entirely." 

And THAT car is part of the GM Heritage Collection, seen here with the last of the original body style Sevilles.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Matt CLC#18621

What's the link to see all the cars in the GM Heritage Collection?

Thanks,

Matt
CLC# 18621

Jim Skelly, CLC #15958

The vin number indicates that this is the second convertible off the line.  The body tag would indicate which body it is.  Considering it was the first American-made front-wheel-drive convertible since the 1937 Cord, it could be worth more than your average '71 Eldo convertible.

'68 Eldorado
'77 Biarritz
'71 Eldo coupe (Clove) - my first car

35-709

Quote from: Matt CLC#18621 on November 17, 2008, 10:14:59 AM
What's the link to see all the cars in the GM Heritage Collection?

Thanks,

Matt
CLC# 18621

Putting "GM Heritage Collection" in the Google search engine I came up with this ----- http://www.gm.com/corporate/about/heritage/
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Matt CLC#18621

Jim,

Does that mean it is either Eldorado body #1 or Eldorado body #2; or does the VIN indicate that it is the second Cadillac off the assembly line?

Thanks,

Matt

Quote from: Jim Skelly, CLC #15958 on November 17, 2008, 12:48:33 PM
The vin number indicates that this is the second convertible off the line.  The body tag would indicate which body it is.  Considering it was the first American-made front-wheel-drive convertible since the 1937 Cord, it could be worth more than your average '71 Eldo convertible.

'68 Eldorado
'77 Biarritz
'71 Eldo coupe (Clove) - my first car

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

The first VIN might NOT have body # 1 on it & so on. So... what's the first Eldo?  Body #1 no matter what  the VIN is or... VIN #1 no matter what body # is on it???  Have fun with that one boys. Bob   So when do we find out the body # that several of us have asked for????
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

76eldo

Maybe he should be looking at 66 Toronados...

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)