News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

58 Eldo being turned into...something else?

Started by Gunnar, November 16, 2008, 09:27:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otto Skorzeny

I'm not sure I agree with you JK about valuable parts being offered to restorers. These guys don't strike me as the type to waste time trying to make a few extra bucks on the leftovers when they're probably getting a couple hundred grand for that monstrosity.

They clearly have no respect for the intrinsic value of that antique car. Why would they have any for a few old parts?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

76eldo

In spite of their ignorance, and the fact that they could have started off with any 58 Cadillac Sedan, their craftsmanship is quite impressive, if you look at all of the pics.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Otto Skorzeny

I do agree with that. It doesn't mitigate their bad behavior, though.
fward

J Kjerrulf

You are probably right Otto, but I'd be surprised if any parts did not find the way to e-bay.
Guys with that good hands can't be too stupid. Probably loves old cars as much as I do.

Still, parts of me wishes they got a couple of hundred years for that monstrosity. ;)
/J Kjerrulf
Eldorado Seville 1957

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Otto Skorzeny

For those of you who are interested, I received the following email from the man in charge of the Brougham transformation. I told him about our club and our site in case he has parts he wishes to sell. His contact information is listed in case any of you guys are restoring one of your own.

Hi

After the car is complete I will send you a list of what is left over from the 1958 Eldorado.

Clay Hepburn
Distinct Images - Custom Auto Builders
T: 905.353.9216
F: 905-353-9145
W: www.di-customcars.com
M: clay@di-customcars.com
fward

76eldo

That's very good, but if I was him, and read these comments, I would make a bonfire with the leftover stuff, and video it, and put it on YouTube...

Ever see the Monster Garage episode where Jesse James takes a mint 71 El Camino, shreds it and turns it info a big lawnmower or something like that?   The, as he is literally ripping mint parts from the car, and throwing them in a pile on the shop floor, he laughs and says "I guess the guys in the Chevy club with there little club jackets and stuff wouldn't like this too much".

Granted a 70 El Camino is no 58 Brougham, but same thinking....

I am a live and let live kind of guy, like nice rods and customs, but taking that Brougham and using it for an abomination like that is truly sickening.

Think the vanity items and owner's manual are in the dumpster behind the shop?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Stewart Homan

Quote from: 76eldo on November 19, 2008, 04:49:47 PM

Ever see the Monster Garage episode where Jesse James takes a mint 71 El Camino, shreds it and turns it info a big lawnmower or something like that?   

- I don't even watch MG anymore with all that fake 'attitude' - JJ is a nob of the highest order!

76eldo

It's not on anymore anyway.  He hit the lottery when he married Sandra Bullock, millionaire movie star.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Andrew

Quote from: 76eldo on November 20, 2008, 12:00:28 PM
It's not on anymore anyway.  He hit the lottery when he married Sandra Bullock, millionaire movie star.

Brian

That guy married Sandra Bullock? Maybe he'll give her a nose job and a boob job, change her hair length and color, and a few extra toes, and put some laser beams in her eye sockets, just like on the show !  lol

Davidinhartford

Well, you can't blame the coach builder.  He is just doing what he was hired to do.  I'm sure many of his guys are crying as they work on this car.

I have no problem with a PWD (person with a disability) converting a classic to make it accessible.   But there was no need to start with such a rare car.   

As said earlier, why not take a more common series 62 sedan and stretch it?   

But once I saw those extra rear wheels and repaint I knew this person was not a Cadillac person at all.

I was up at R&Ms shop in Ontario and saw them dropping a vintage mid 60s Rolls Royce limousine body onto the chassis on a brand new, All-wheel drive Chevy Astro van.   They said the owner wanted all-wheel drive for the dessert and the looks of a classic Rolls Limo.   When finished the car looked factory stock.    I saw no trouble with that.   And I'm sure that limo was made in fewer numbers than the 58 Eldo Brougham.

It isn't always what you do, but how you do it.   

And that 58 Eldo is a....... crying shame.