News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Rear Axle Seals

Started by Jack McClow CLC #15840, November 17, 2008, 08:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack McClow CLC #15840

I need to replace a rear axle seal in my '57 ...... I see they are available through Kanter, USA Parts Supply, and a company called Terril Machine out of DeLeon, Texas.   Any reason to buy from one of these companies rather than the other?  Are all the seals the same?  Any other suggestions regarding this repair I should know beforehand?

Thanks,

Jack.

35-709

My preference for service, price, and helpfulness would be Cooper's Vintage Auto Parts first.  They have the rear axle seals for $12.00 each.
http://www.coopersvintage.com/ 
Scroll down to, and click on, Catalogs, etc., etc.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Jack McClow CLC #15840

Thanks, Geoff,

I have checked out the site for Cooper's ......... looks like a nice outfit.  I see a fellow by the name of Vince is their Cadillac expert ....... do you try to order with him or doesn't it matter so much?

Thanks again for the lead ...... I will plan to use them for the various things I need,

Jack.

35-709

I haven't had to order anything from Cooper's in a while, seems to me I always talked with Bill (I believe that is right) Cooper.
Geoff

Tom Hall 7485

Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

homeonprunehill

11-23-08
JACK , it would be a good time to check over the wheel cylinders(brake cylinders) also, the rubber hoses (TWO in Front,ONE in rear).GOOD LUCK,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

35-709

Thank you Tom, Bob it is.  Thought of it later but never came back to correct it.
Geoff N.

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Jack McClow CLC #15840 on November 17, 2008, 08:45:36 AM
I need to replace a rear axle seal in my '57 ......
Jack, rear axle seals for 1957 are an integral part of the rear wheel bearing, except for series 86. If you have oil coming out, you will have to replace the complete bearing.
If you have the shop manual, it is cleary described.

Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Jack McClow CLC #15840

Quote from: homeonprunehill on November 23, 2008, 09:08:56 PM
11-23-08
JACK , it would be a good time to check over the wheel cylinders(brake cylinders) also, the rubber hoses (TWO in Front,ONE in rear).GOOD LUCK,JIM

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the suggestion ...... we will work that into the repairs later on.  Everything brake-wise and most everything other wise was brand new eight years ago when I had a major mechanical restoration done on the car.  At that time I had everything rebuilt except for the engine and the transmission, both of which seemed fine to me at the time.  But the performance gradually grew worse over these past eight years,  so the car, at this moment, is back with me in my garage without its engine; a full diagnostic review confirmed my fears that the engine was just too tired to ever be able to perform up to even my minimum standards, so the engine has been removed and taken to a machine shop for a rebuild. On my original list for the mechanic I had asked for the brake fluid to be replaced with new ...... when he does that task I'll make sure he inspects everything from end to end.

If you have any other thoughts or ideas, please pass them along.

Thanks,

Jack.

Jack McClow CLC #15840

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann #21015 on November 24, 2008, 03:11:55 AM
Jack, rear axle seals for 1957 are an integral part of the rear wheel bearing, except for series 86. If you have oil coming out, you will have to replace the complete bearing.
If you have the shop manual, it is cleary described.

Roger

Roger,

Are you absolutely sure the rear axle seals are a part of the bearing?  I don't have my shop manual here to use as a reference as it is with the mechanic, but I called Bob Cooper today to order the parts and he said there was no reason to order the bearings ($70 each) if they weren't indicating any signs of trouble, which they are not.

Jack.

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Jack McClow CLC #15840 on November 25, 2008, 07:55:08 PM
Roger,

Are you absolutely sure the rear axle seals are a part of the bearing? 

Yes, Jack, I'm sure. There is no separate seal except a "O" ring on the outside diameter. This "O" ring cannot go bad as there is no movement between bearing and carrier. If somebody try to sell you a separate seal (like Kanter), you cannot install it. I have a '57 Brougham on which I replaced the bearings and I have such bearings on stock. Have a look on your shop manual...

Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101