News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

How do I get out spark plugs on right bank of cylinders? - '78 Seville

Started by david.randall, November 17, 2008, 07:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david.randall

All,

I changed cap, rotor, wires, and four spark plugs today (the ones on the left bank if you're sitting in the car). The forward plug on the right bank has me stumped; how do you get to it? From underneath? Or, do you have to take-off the air conditioner pump?

Thanks,

David
David Randall, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Cadillac Club of BC - Vancouver Island (http://bccadillacclub.ca/)

01/78 Seville Pewter Poly with Red Leather VIN: 6S69B8Q472289

Roger H

Hello David,
I do not have specifics on your exact car however, I  worked in an auto shop for several years when that era of car was common and here is what I can pass on.
I never needed to remove a major component when changing spark plugs.  You may need to  jack the car up and access the plug over the tire  and thru the flap hanging by the upper control arm or under the hood like most cars.   also you may need a combination of some of the following tools, spark plug socket with a universal wobbly on the end, a long  (36 inch)  extension, short extensions ( 1inch, 3 inch, 6 inch ) flex head ratchet, regular ratchet,  with those tools in the right combination you should be able to remove the spark plugs

Good luck

Roger H
Roger Hundtoft
1936 Fleetwood 8509
Lynnwood Wa

david.randall

Thanks, I'll try that. I thought I might have to install a few more elbows on my arms...

35-709

I had to remove the right front tire to change the right rear plug on a '76 Seville.  Don't remember any major problems with the rest of them, the car did have AC.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

The Tassie Devil(le)

Just be thankful it isn't one of those horrible Asian V 6's where the rear bank require removal of the Intake Manifold and a lot of stretching and contorting.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

76eldo

Like the previous post dais, you need to have a variety of sockets, extensions, universal adapters, and sometimes a wrench on the end of a spark plug socket.

You can do this, just look at it for a while, and you will figure it out.

Then come over and give me a hand with the rear bank of plugs on my Allante...

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

david.randall

In the '80s when I was a teen I worked at my cousin's corner country garage, and the worst car I had to change plugs on was a Chevy Monza Spyder with the little V8 engine (262?). I have medium sized hands (the smallest of all the guys at the shop), and I could only unthread the rear plugs half way before they hit the body of the car. We ended up putting the car on a hoist, unbolting the engine and tranny mounts, and dropping the whole unit as far as we could, and I could JUST get the rear plugs out. They were obvously the original plugs and there was no electrodes left: completely burned away! All eight new plugs made the car run like a dream, and the present owner had never had the car run on all eight cylinders.

Changing plugs in a 460 Ford van required little hands, but I've never tried an Allante...

Gene Moscicki

Wait until you have to replace the fan motor for A/C and heat. The shop manual says to REMOVE the inner fender!! I took an air chisel to the inside of the inner fender and cut out a hole to get it done then fastened a cover over it. On Chrysler 300s , the ones with the LONG cross ram manifolds of the 60s there is a removable door on the inner fender to get to the spark plugs. Good luck as I have not yet needed to change the plugs on my 79. with 22k miles since a total rebuild. gee, I hope they were changed then. Let us know once you figure it out.

David #19063

Quote from: Gene Moscicki on November 18, 2008, 07:44:37 PM
On Chrysler 300s , the ones with the LONG cross ram manifolds of the 60s there is a removable door on the inner fender to get to the spark plugs.

That is good to know.  I have always wanted a '60 300F Hardtop...but with their prices, I'll have to win the PowerBall first.
David #19063
1996 DeVille Concours

david.randall

Quote from: david.randall on November 17, 2008, 07:37:38 PM
The forward plug on the right bank has me stumped; how do you get to it? From underneath? Or, do you have to take-off the air conditioner pump?

Someone on this forum suggested to try from underneath the car, and this turned out to be relatively easy for all for all four right bank spark plugs.  I had to take the four out on the left bank also, as I forgot that the Seville calls for a 0.080" gap, not the 40 thou I'm used to.

I FINALLY have all the facuum hoses replaced and PCV and new EGR valves installed. These cars do not run properly without all of this working, and the old fella who owned the car before me thought vacuum hoses were something to get rid of. The car's running great :)

Tootles,

David

david.randall