News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Wheel Weights

Started by Jack McClow CLC #15840, November 20, 2008, 09:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack McClow CLC #15840

I have heard there are special wheel weights designed for certain applications such as for use on the Fleetwoods of the mid-70's; apparently the wheel covers used on these cars (and on many other Cadillacs I would suspect) will not fit properly to the wheel if the standard weights are used.  If this is true, does anyone know of a source for these special weights?

Thanks,

Jack.

Otto Skorzeny

I've never heard of special weights.

Tell the guy balancing your tires to put the weights on the inside of the rim instead of the outside. It looks better and there is no possibility of interference with the wheel covers.

There are also wheel weights which have an adhesive strip on the back instead of a fold over clip. Maybe those are what you're thinking of.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Jack,
You are correct.  There are weights specifically designed for that application.  Trying to balance wheels with weights only on the backside results in  poor balance.
The weights with extended tabs on them are available, and I purchased a "lifetime" supply from USA parts.  When I need to get wheels balanced I take my weights and they use the ones they need, returning the ones (if any) they take off.
The weights come in 1/8th through several ounces and they are not expensive, considering they are the only way a successful dynamic balance can be achieved.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

TJ Hopland

They did exist.   Some of the more 'mature' tire guys say they remember them but have not had any need for them in so long dont know if they can even be ordered. Looks like Greg found a source.  I have had pretty good luck having them use standard ones on the inside.   My 75 eldo has gaps in the little fingers in the cover so as long as there is a single or small cluster of weights they still fit.  On my 73 (with 67 covers) I have a combination of inner and a couple of those stick on ones that were mentioned in the other post.   I guess the stick on ones are for those fancy aluminum wheels the kids are running now days so most shops have them.

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

Well ---- 2 other replies came while I was typing this, but here goes ....

It is true Jack.  All Cadillacs (not sure about FWD Eldorados), not just the Fleetwoods, used them for a period of time back then, possibly some other GM makes also.  They are hard to find these days but can sometimes be found on Ebay.  Rarely will you find them at tire shops since they haven't been used in such a long time, possibly some of the bigger shops will have them or can source them.  The designation for these weights is CAX.  At one time a couple of years ago you could get them from this source ----  http://www.alltiresupply.com Try contacting them.  You might also try Googling CAX wheel weights
The mounting tab on CAX weights is longer to move the weight itself slightly further toward the center of the wheel leaving room for the hubcap "teeth" to grip the edge of the rim rather than hit the weight itself.
T.J.H. has posted a good picture of one. 
Geoff N.     
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

TJ Hopland

The wheel in my photo is a 67-78 eldo.  As you can see there is no other place for the cap to grip because of the way the offset is in the wheel.  I wonder if maybe the eldo was the reason some of the other caps were that way?  Perhaps they had to re design the clamping portion of the caps for the eldos and thought they would use it on all the models?   Most other caps I have seen grip on the inner part of the wheel so I imagine thats why most of the weights are made to grip on that outer edge. 

76eldo

You are correct.  There are weights like that on my 60 Eldo too.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

So it was not new for 67.   Must have just been a 'different' way to do it.  I wonder if it was in theory better than the other style?

76eldo

I don't think it's better or worse, just leaves room for the hubcap to fit correctly.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Doug 22747

Hey Jack - do you still have that 75 Talisman?  Anyway, I was also successful finding the weights a couple of years ago at: http://www.alltiresupply.com/c-Wheel_Weights.html for my car after not being completely happy with weights only on the back of the wheels (and I tried the glue on type on the front, but they didn't stay glued very long).  Before these I recall concaved weights for the sombrero covers.  If you didn't use them the wheel cover didn't seat correctly and could make noises like an old boat!  Best - Doug
Doug Browne
Atlanta, GA

The Tassie Devil(le)

I also used the "Stick-on" weights on my '60 CDV, but before I stuck them on, just inside the outer face of the rim, so that there was no interference with the caps, I cleaned the painted surface with "Prepsol" and never had one come loose.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jack McClow CLC #15840

Thanks so much to everybody who replied to my post ....... I really, really apprecaite all the suggestions and leads ..... I'll get to work tomorrow to see what I can find ......... and, thanks to all of you, now I know what I am looking for.

And Doug, yes, I still have my Talisman ........ life wouldn't be the same without having it in my garage.  And I still send a picture of it, always in front of a different location, to the widow of the original owner ........ she made me make that promise to her when she sold the car to me a few years after her husband passed away.

Thanks again, so much ........ I'll let you all know if I can find a source for these special weights if they are still in production.

Jack.

Walter Youshock

I remember those being called Cadillac weights.  Their design did have something to do with the wheelcovers.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Lars Kneller 8246

Jack, email me- I may be able to help you out.

Lars

Jack McClow CLC #15840

Quote from: Lars Kneller 8246 on November 27, 2008, 06:45:13 PM
Jack, email me- I may be able to help you out.

Lars

Hi Lars,

Thanks ............ I'll be in touch,

Jack.