News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Annoying radio and heater blower motor electrical circuitry problems in a '62...

Started by Edward Kenny, November 22, 2008, 09:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edward Kenny

It seems that the radio and heater/AC blower are on the same electrical circuit in my '62 CDV. I know this because the electrical circuit is intermittent at best. One time I'll start the car and things will work fine, and then the next time I start the car, both blower and radio are not operating. Can anyone tell me where the electrical connection to the blower and radio is located so that I can tighten the connection once and for all?? The shop manual is vague at best diagramwise in regard to this particular topic.

Thanks in advance for the due diligence.

TJ Hopland

Not sure about your model or vintage but in general the power wires come from the battery lead side of the starter solenoid.  Checking the connections there would be a place to start.  Also looking for the ground that goes between the engine and body.  Earlier cars had the battery ground going to the motor and then a strap to the body.  Later they seemed to switch to battery to the body and then strap to the engine. 

Hopefully someone will have some specifics for you. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Glen

I would start at the fuse block.  There are three circuits in the fuse block; battery, ignition and accessory.  The battery obviously is always hot and connected to the battery without and switches.  The ignition circuit is turned on when the ignition switch is turned to the run or start position but not in the accessory position (key turned to the left).   The accessory circuit is turned on when the ignition switch is in run or accessory but not in start. 

Checking with a meter or test light at the fuse block will tell you if the problem is in the ignition switch or not.  It should also help you to figure out where to look next. 

I believe the fuse block on a ’62 is labeled well enough to determine which fuse is for what.   

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

quadfins

I agree with Glen.
Power feed comes in from the accessory side of the ignition switch to 3 different connectors at the fuse box. Each accessory - heater, radio, and antenna - has a separate fuse. It is unlikely that all the fuses would blow at the same time, and impossible that they would somehow reset themselves, so I don't think the problem is with fuses. I suspect that there is a poor connection with the power feed from the ignition switch into the fuse box, or at the back of the ignition switch, or within the switch itself. The first two are relatively easy to check. With a good dose of contortion and cursing, you can slither up under the brake pedal and inspect the connections at the fuse box. the ignition switch can be disconnected and removed, and the wires there inspected, too. For the switch itself, you may have to remove it and do some conductiuvity tests to see how the internals are working. Take your time, and have a Mai Tai ready to help relax those strained muscles.
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Roger H

Also check the heater motor positive wire,   trace it from the  blower motor to the blower motor resistor and actually look at ( remove and  inspect)  each connection.  The blower wire is famous for burning up due to high amp draw, it will usually burn up at a connection.  The blower ground will also burn but not as common.  A burnt connection will work intermittently and can cause the problem you describe

Roger
Roger Hundtoft
1936 Fleetwood 8509
Lynnwood Wa

J. Gomez

Edward,

In looking at the '62 wiring diagram the radio, antenna, and blower are all in the same fuse box power strip, this strip is feed by a “Yellow” lead from the Ignition switch (ACC side), and each component e.g. radio, antenna, blower is then fused separately. If both the radio and blower are on the fritz per your comments (most likely the antenna would also be affected by the electrical gremlin), as Glenn suggested check the fuse box first for lose connector/wire, if all OK them check the Ignition switch as the possible source.

Good luck..!

Regards,

Jose Gomez CLC #23082
J. Gomez
CLC #23082