News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

sticking up 4 1971-1978 eldos

Started by J, November 22, 2008, 10:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J

well were do i start  i will try here i own a 1975 eldo convertible that i have owend 8 years now and lately i have noticed a lot of  discussion about  such as how much worth etc... well i will let you know i bought mine for very cheap because it was considered just an old car now seems a collectable and i love it it was the door into cadillacs i am now on my 3rd 1 i still own my first every time i drive this i get respect and lots of  offers to buy it but i seem to not be able to let go thanks to members of this club  especially tj hopland for information and  Confirmation showing i am not the only member liking these fine automobiles that are a part of history  eldos are unique and becoming well sout  after Imagine 10-20 even 30 years from now these will be rare after all not many people will keep these around . just sticking up for eldo's as when i talk about or go to shows i feel like the  underdog all the time but i enjoy this,  different is better just my thoughts!   Jessie
Cadillac got me!!!

TJ Hopland

How did you get your first one?  I came from a Pontiac and GMC family, my dad still cant figure where the Cadillac gene came from, he is just glad its not a Ford or Mopar.

A friend of mine had a 70eldo and I had a 82 regal v6.  One day he came up behind me and pushed me and my car into an intersection without spinning the tires.  The next day we went mountain biking somewhere where we had to drive.  I started taking my bike apart like I had to do in my car and he says 'what you doing that for, just put it in'.  Then came my first ride.  He says 'ever see a FWD car burn rubber down hill'.   I was already interested in Cadillacs but that was the final hook.  The first Cadillac I bought was an 83 Fleetwood Coupe.  I had it for about 3 years and got tired of the lack of power and transmission issues.  Ended up with a 84 Grand Prix brougham that had a 3 speed non od trans and a chev 305.  The wife was driving a ailing 79 Custom cruiser and I was keeping an eye out for something better.  I was just reading stuff out loud to her and said hey look how about a 73 cadillac convertible?  After a few moments we moved on to other cars but it stayed at the back of my mind.  That night I was thinking I drive a company car with a pretty laid back policy on personal miles.  I only kept the Grand Prix to pull my boat.  Why not buy a 10mpg convertible tank?  She got the GP and I got my eldo.  It was a 1973 Texas car that they somehow dented and poorly repaired and then blew the engine all before 1978.  The guy I bought it from brought it up here to MN in 83 and put a new top on it.  It then sat in his barn waiting for a new engine for about 10 years when he picked up a trashed hard top with a good motor.  He had got as far as  getting the motor installed but never finished putting the body parts on that he got to replace the dented pannels.  I paid him $4000 for the car, partially disassembled original motor, running complete motor, spare running motor, 2 spare transmissions, several hubcaps, wheels and tires, shop manual, and a few extras.  Hung the fenders on, bolted the hood on, bolted the front bumper on and turn signals and I was ready to roll.  Got a few miles away before I just had to stomp on it.  When I did that the Y pipe blew apart and the fan rubbed on the radiator.   That must have been a heck of a site.  73 eldo convert, top down, primer on one fender, no chrome or hubcaps, no headlights or grille, no exhaust, and a major leak in the radiator!   Drove it to my parents house because I could not work on it at my place.     I think I had it and drove it for 7 years before I finally had the money to get it painted and put the trim on.  The last 3 were too good a deal to pass up.  Wish I had more space.

Other cars on my practical someday list if the price is right:
79-85 Diesel eldo
Early 80's Fleetwood Coupe (if its got engine issues would look into a late model northstar swap)
Beat rusted 70's hearse to turn into a 'crew cab pickup' (saw one and though it was pretty neat for a rusted out pile of crap)
67 Toronado
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

J

my first eldo well i just sold my dakota pickup truck and i wanted a convertible and in the back of my mind i remember a eldo hardtop and found out it was i fwd and loved it  but i wanted a convertible i looked at mine twice and bought it  joined the clc and found out i am the 3rd owner and started to appreciate originality at  first i wanted big rims and loud  stereo but i was young  the only regreat is cutting the dash for an after market radio i wish i kept the 8-track player ...
Cadillac got me!!!

Perry G

I was misled in my younger years,,,,  I was told,, "front wheel drive cars get good gas milage". So got me a lime green on white 74 Eldorado. After driving it, I didn't care about milage. The color combo was just MINT !!  And there was room for two home stereo speakers and one very small blond in the back seat.

TJ Hopland

I have a 73 with that interior combo.  It now even has green carpet to match due to the holes in the top and lack of a back window for many years.  Luckily there are enough holes rusted in the floor to let most of the water drain right out.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Otto Skorzeny

Good Grief! That's bright! I love the color. That car looks beautiful. My mom had a Super Beetle that color when I was a kid. I,m not so keen on the interior, though. I think they should have toned it down a little bit inside.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Barry

The 1974 Cranberry and White combination was one of my favorites !
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman
1961Continental Convertible

Chris Conklin

I would say they are getting due respect - Off-hand, I would say that more than half of them that I see on the market are selling well above their original MSRP. The only bargains are on hardtops, as is the case in most any marque. I'm seriously considering a '75 at the moment (due to the scarceness of early '60s era Eldos); any advice or areas of concern you can relate would be appreciated. Thanks.

Chris Conklin

Barry

A nice original Mandarin Orange '75 with the original Mandarin Orange top would be an awesome find ! Just take your time and find the best one in your budget. You'll be a lot better off with a high quality example than a fixer-upper !!!!
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman

Chris Conklin

It's funny you mention the Mandarin orange, Barry. I was reminded of a mandarin/white CDV my dad owned in the '70s when I saw the photos of the green Caddy in the earlier post. He still owns only Cadillacs to this day. I'm just coming back around to them in my mid-life. I've spent more time on two wheels but may finally retire from that endeavor (and give my wife's nerves a rest). Thanks for the advice on the '75 purchase.
Chris Conklin

Perry G

There still out there,,, I found this one that I was going to use as a parts car. $1700.00 Bucks delivered 120 miles to my door. Once it was home my wife said "YOUR NOT TOUCHING THAT CAR !!". I would haft to agree with her on that one. Now I can find another parts car for the 76.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Perry,

Glad to see that you took notice of your wife.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Barry

I would love to find the '76 vintage car phone just to sit in my "76. I think they had rotary dials and were white--any ideas ???
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman

76eldo

They always look better in photos, but that a really nice car for $1700.00!

Good luck with it.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Greg Powers

The last of the Eldorado Convertibles still get mixed reviews. I owned a 1976 convertible in Chesterfield Brown with Buckskin top and leather interior, a beautiful car with loads of power, but it was one of the more costly vehicles I have ever driven. It is said that Cadillac only stopped producing the 1976 convertible because they ran out of parts.  No other year, 1971-1976, did they produce so many Eldorado Convertibles (14,000 to be exact) Needless to say, they often lacked the fit and finish of previous years. The really collectible 1976 models are the last 200 all white convertibles off the line. Parts for the downsized Eldorados (1979-1985) are quite easy to find, but certain parts for the older style are becoming more difficult to locate everyday. One of the most perplexing problems with the car is that huge scisssors folding top. It is know to stop at most any point in operation and will at some point in time clip-off the taillight indicator that is perched like a periscope on the top edge of the back seat. My car also loved to split the axle boots on those massive front drive axles, not so much a great expense just a great pain the neck. Who knows when the verdict will be in on these last great dinosaurs, but for my money unless you are one of lucky 199 car owners of 1976 all white convertibles, I'd bet on one of the earlier models in the series. (I am driving a 1963 Series 62 convertible these days)
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

Perry G

This is the old 76 Chesterfield Brown with Buckskin top and leather interior I picked up from a guy for $600.00 bucks and a boat motor. She has 78K on her and runs like a dream. She don't look to purity now but she's  RUST FREE  and with some fillers, an interior and a little paint she will be back in stile. I'll pay the price of gas to ride in class,,, ;D

J

very nice good to see there is some good deals out there
Cadillac got me!!!

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I have a '73 Eldorado coupe in Dynasty Red / red interior / black top that I purchased new (factory special order).  It's never given me any major trouble in all these years and with the 500 CI engine will keep up with anything on the road today.  Has but 49,000 miles on the clock and looks
like new with everything original!

In Pittsburgh, with the snowy winters and hills here, it could go almost anywhere without
problems.  I highly recommend that if you can buy one of these beasts in good condition
do so while they're still cheap.  They're a great ride!!

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

J

i have noticed alot more interest as of lately for eldos and prices seem to be rising not sure if this is good or bad thing though i like buying/driving these wonderful cars for relitivly cheep once you own 1 you will never give it up!
Cadillac got me!!!

Gunnar

I bought Lulu, my 1973 coupe, back in 2006. I've been in love ever since!!! 

Apart from an easily solved starting problem when I bought her, she has never given me any trouble.
There are no issues.
It's like driving a new car.
But of course, no new car rides like this old boat.

Notice the missing hood ornament in the picture? Anyone had that problem?  lol.

Gunnar S. Valdimarsson
CLC 24352
1964 Coupe de Ville