News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Your thoughts-support for 59 chapter???

Started by wrefakis, November 26, 2008, 09:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrefakis

Happy thanksgiving to all!! just a thought,59 chapter? web set up for 59 roster?  We have an allante chapter,the 59 is still the most iconic 50's car period,why a chapter for 59's?? Let me know your thoghts,would need a good deal of time on this end,but it could be a fun project if support is wide enough. take care,Bill Refakis

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

As the owner of a 59, I would be interested.  Of course, it would need the approval of the national board.  The inevitable question is who is going to do all the "heavy lifting" of putting all of this together, compose newsletters, etc.?  I would be interested in joining, but I already have too much on my plate to be very active in the administratiion and operation of the chapter.

Stampie

Might I suggest a 59/60 chapter so that we can discuss all of the great improvements the 60 has over her older sister?

Stampie
If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.  ~Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobediance, 1849

If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.  ~Louis D. Brandeis

76eldo

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

A 59/60 Chapter does make sense due to the close design and character of those two years, but the 59 does have a higher level of exclusivity, and you can't argue that those fins are like nothing else ever made.

Either one sounds good to me.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Walter Youshock

Chapters are  perfect way to get members and owners of a particular series of car together and exchange information.  Sadly, it seems that they are usually taken on by one or two people in a geographical area who have interest and they or one end up carrying the banner. 

Unlike a region, a Chapter relies upon the mutual interest of devotees of a particular model or production run that encompasses all geographical areas.  It is harder to accomplish than one might think.  As Secretary of the 5 Liter (Brougham) Chapter, we should have a great many members from Texas (Arlington plant area), Florida and California where the lions-share of these RWD dinosaurs were built and sold to the target market of older retirees and many sill excellent examples remain.  Surprisingly. most chapter members hail from the northeast rust-belt and Canada.

As it stands now, the 5-Liter Brougham Chapter has about 20 members and two officers.  The officers live within 30 miles of each other and, due to proximity, friendship and mutual interest, run the Chapter. 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Stampie

The Modified Chapter has a totally different experience.  Being internet based we pull in members from all over the world.  I checked and just today we've had 40 people active on our forum.  For a newer Chapter we have four members (two officers and two moderators) that are very active in the Chapter and keep it going day to day.  I've had to step back the last nine months with the birth of my son and the Chapter didn't skip a beat.  Just wanted to point out that a successful Chapter can be formed and kept active without a lot of work.

Stampie
If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.  ~Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobediance, 1849

If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.  ~Louis D. Brandeis

Xris Laggan

I'd support a 59/60 chapter , friendly rivalry aside , I would think that both models are close enough to be under the one group , plus you double the chance of getting more support and more Help .

Xris
Xris Laggan 
CLC #24618
1960 Cadillac Flattop
1986 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'elegance
1960 Chevrolet Belair

Stampie

Stampie

Quote from: South_paw on November 30, 2008, 08:18:23 AM
We already had a test dummy. The Modified Chapter is solely internet based and doing very well.

Why you gotta call us dumb?

Stampie

Walter Youshock

The Modified Chapter is a far different entity than one solely devoted to the restoration and preservation of a particular body style or limited production run.  While a chapter devoted to a particular style-run will dissect details ad infinitum, I feel it is safe to say that the Modified Chapter concentrates on ALL years of Cadillac and LaSalle and how they can remain on the road.  Perhaps the time has come to publish Mission Statements for every Chapter?

Let's face it--Cadillac was one of the first "members" of the Modified Chapter.  Oldsmobile and Chevy engines in a Cadillac?!?!  And the first V-6 was from Buick?

The Modified Chapter is an incredible success and has provided a great service to the CLC and the hobby as a whole.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Charles D. Barnette

My reaction is that the 59 Buick has its own chapter and website under The Buick Club of America organization. Next year is the 50th anniversary of the spectacular 59s; and the 59 Buick will be specially honored at The National Meet of the Buick Club of America in Colorado Springs, Colorado, next summer. Should the 59 Cadillac expect any less respective recognition from CLC? Charles D. Barnette

wrefakis

I am looking into a web based roster and 59 site that will be linked to all cadillac clubs world wide,and include a forum as well, i will of course have to reach out to the clubs to be linked,and there is a bit of an investment needed,but I feel it is worth doing. it will be 59 only,and owners that have contributed along the way,will be welcome to post their cars,and comments. It will be set up like the data base,and similar in format to the Constellation survivors web site ,www.conniesurvivors.com, like to update it once a month,with a feautre car and owner of the month.

As,an aside,it was my love of the constellation that started this project way back,as they had the production list out 30 years ago,in its own way,the 59 biarritz with air ride and tri power,was more than a bit like the connie,both the pinnacle of the world war 2 victory parade,in fact ,the connies war time little brother the P-38 was the source of the tail fins on the 48,and the 59 biarritz,and super constellation were both more than a bit cranky,the connie was called the worlds best tri motor airliner by the guys that flew them,and as far as tri power and air ride,wll,but they were,and are art in metal to me,and as such,next year for the 50 anniversary of the 59's,i will get this project up and running!!

35-709

"...the worlds best tri-motor airliner..."

Maybe it was if it lost an engine but the Constellation was not a tri-motor, it was a four engine aircraft.
;D
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

wrefakis

you have to be kidding,did you think i did not know that,the pilots called them that because of the high failure rate of the wright r3350 turbo compound radial engine,ans yes it had 4 engines,and 3 tailfins!

35-709

OK.  Others not interested in or up on old airliners may not have known that.  No offense intended.
:)
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

caddykid60

I'd love to have a 1959-1960 Chapter.  The 1965-66 caddies have their own.
Mike Kelley
1960 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1990 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance
1991 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Wagon

Brian Laurance

I must add to Charles Barnette's comments above regarding the formation of a separate division within the BCA dedicated to the 1959 Buicks.  Enthusiasts for the Buicks of this particular model year were among the first to petition the club's board of directors for separate division status.  The Board's approval was the springboard for a remarkably active group, with a dedicated website and discussion forum serving as a mobilizing force.

During the three years that the dedicated website has operated, we have attracted '59 enthusiasts from around the world, and the discussion forums have recorded tens of thousands of posts.  We set up member photo galleries for the '59 Buick owners, and we now have more than 10,000 images of these cars, including historic images and images of parts, literature, toys, accessories, etc.  Perhaps more impressive is the camaraderie that has developed among the members, who have found a perfect place to share their interests.

There will be caravans of '59 Buicks traveling to the "50 Years of the '59 Buick" celebration in Colorado Springs next summer, and we anticipate that this will be far and away the largest gathering of these cars since they rolled off the assembly lines.

I believe firmly that the iconic status of the '59 Cadillac promises similar success if a small number of enthusiasts invest the effort to set up a division and website dedicated to the cars.

By the way, wrefakis, I have been a frequent visitor to the Connie Survivors site, and share your enthusiasm for this graceful airliners.  You all might enjoy Tom Gibson's photo of the former MATS Constellation with a '48 Cadillac Fleetwood and '47 Buick.

wrefakis

Thanks for the info on the 59 Buick sight,I owned a red 59 invicta convert with 10k original miles a few years back,love Buicks as well 59/60,and 68-70 electra in particular,,I will be designing the site over this winter,and by next fall will have it up,it will be in the interactive forum type of site like yours,the 59 Biarritz is the worlds most recognized 50's car for sure,I do not have any plans to include any other year cadillacs to the site,it will be 59 0nly,may start a roster for sevilles,as well as really special low mileage originals of all body styles.

Mike Welch

Quote from: South_paw on November 30, 2008, 08:18:23 AM
Here's an Idea,
Everything can be internet based as opposed to snail mail based. We already had a test dummy. The Modified Chapter is solely internet based and doing very well. 

Lou

This is correct, internet based does really well.
I have been running the 63 /64 Cadillac community on MSN from about the year 2000.
Until recently i took it over from the original founder. Although not a CLC chapter we have members from all over the world. Sharing help files , finding parts etc. Cant do that as fast in the regular mail.
63 /64 Cadillac community http://6364cadillac.no-ip.org/
Mike Welch
The Original 63 & 64 Cadillac Community
Serving 63 & 64 Enthusiasts SINCE 2000
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Cadillac_6364_club/

Stampie

Mike you are another example of where I think the CLC needs to go.  Other than those here of course the CLC is largely a traditional group that scorns the internet.  We need to do more to promote ourselves to the younger members that search for "Cadillac" on Google and never see us.  There is a great underground love of our cars with the younger generation.  Just last week I pulled up beside a beautiful 70 Coupe to see that the driver was in his younger 20's.  I'd bet 10 to 1 that he's never heard of the CLC before I rolled down my window and yelled over to him. 

Stampie