News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Moth balls and baking soda for auto storage

Started by EAM 17806, December 01, 2008, 07:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EAM 17806

HELLO GANG!  Any you guys have recommendations on how and where to put moth balls and baking soda in and around our cars when we put them away in storage.  My buddies are telling me the mice can do a number on the interior and exterior of cars and that could include the engine too.  I'd appreciate your ideas and suggestions.  THANKS!  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

Dave Shepherd

Lots of " favorite " techniques for storage, here in a rural area of upstate NY, we use dryer sheets throughout the interior and closet dessicant bags to capture moisture, also streel wool pads in the tailpipes, so far over the last 5 years no issues with 4 cars in storage, I am sure there are a variety of techniques pertaining to varmints.

Otto Skorzeny

How long will it be stored? I hate mothballs, they stink.

Put baking soda in salad bowls or whatever and place them on the floorboards - front ans back - and/or on the seats. Arm & Hammer sells boxes now that have peel off sides with a breathable cloth underneath for this purpose. No extra containers needed.

Put mouse traps all around your car and shop. Check them and your car regularly.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

David #19063

If you put mothballs inside your car, you will never never get rid of the stink.

Don't do it.
David #19063
1996 DeVille Concours

TJ Hopland

I have heard good things about the dryer sheets also.  At least those have a smell you can live with.

Are there any signs of varmints where you are planning to store the cars now?  I the places that never had them in the first place I have never had a problem doing nothing special.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

CEC #20099

CEC #20099
Will someone explain how Baking soda keeps out mice? It is sold for deoderizing refrigerators among other things. Lots of moth balls work, & having an alley cat hanging around 2 of my Chicago garages has helped a lot. I place a lot of DeCon boxes around the garage interiors, so I can see if the critters are present. So far the alley cat is winning.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

EAM:

You don't say whether your garage is heated, unheated, attached to the house or what
type of construction.

One of the most important things is to have air circulation throughout the space.  This
discourages damage from moisture, condensation, mold and other ills.  If the space is heated
with a fan blower that's great.  That's what I have used for over 30 years without any problems.
I have a concrete floor and yes, even concrete "breathes" so air circulation is important.  I
live in Pittsburgh so we do get cold winters and temperature changes.

As far as critters, if your garage door seals (rubber gaskets around the door) are good
and tight then that's half the battle.  If they're over 20 years old -- they're shot.  Replace
them -- I did that a few years back.  It's cheap.  It also helps on your heating bill.  If the
critters can't get in then then can't do damage.  Of course, if your storing in an old barn,
anything can happen.

Regarding putting moth balls or dryer sheets in your interior -- that will not discourage the
mice only stink up you car and you will never get rid of that odor.  Putting a dessicant
(water absorbing compound) in the interior may be helpful but I've never needed that.
Those work best in a small confined area (like a safe, for example).  Baking soda really will
not do anything but help absorb odors -- it won't deter the critters.  These odors normally
result from moisture accumulation.  If you have the good air circulation as mentioned you don't
need it. Also, better to keep the problem at bay than trying to fix it after the fact by adding
moth balls, baking soda, etc. or other potions.

HTH,

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Coupe

Some years back I ran into an old timer at the hardware store when buying mouse traps. He asked what I needed them for and then he shared his fool proof way of keeping mice out of a car. He said he was tired of repairing  the interior in his Model T each spring. His method was to jack it up, take the tires off, put jack stands sitting in drain pans at each corner. Put about an inch of oil in each pan. Mice will not cross the oil. If you use a car cover make sure it is well off the floor. It is a lot of work but a low cost solution.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2