News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

70 DeVille - No ignition problem

Started by dgp_naples, December 02, 2008, 04:35:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgp_naples

My 1970 DeVille decided to not start a few weeks ago. There is no ignition whatsoever, so I get no crank. The dash lights come on and nothing else. I have checked the wiring and terminals to the starter and solenoid. I installed a new ignition switch and even changed the neutral safety switch. Nothing. The battery is new and I have the 12volts at the starter cable.

ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED. THE GOOD THING IS THE CAR IS IN MY GARAGE IN FLORIDA, SO I HAVE GOOD WORKING CONDITIONS FOR THIS TIME OF YEAR.
Dean Prevolos 1970 Deville

TJ Hopland

Do you mean you turn the key and the only thing that happens is some of the 'idiot lights' come on?  No clicks under the hood?   Does the heater fan turn on to its low speed?   When you changed the ignition switch did you try by pushing directly on the switch, not using the key to actuate the switch?  Headlights work?

I dont have a 70 manual but typical GM for that era would be 3 fusible link wires coming off the battery terminal side of the starter solenoid.   1 link feeds the headlight switch.  1 feeds the always on side of the fuese box and the other feeds the key switch that then feeds the other side of the fuse box when the key is on.   Due to their location (low near road debris, moisture, and hot exhaust parts) this would be the first place I would be looking.   Another place to look (it may be in the same area anyway) is the ground strap between the body and engine.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Dave Shepherd

Good info, the basic diagnostics for this seem not  to have been done  though, do you have 12v at the purple solenoid wire in the crank position.

76eldo

Did you try to jump 12 volts directly to the starter?

I would start with the most obvious thing, which could very well be a bad starter and/or solenoid.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Otto Skorzeny

Test the battery too. New doesn't mean a thing these days. Try to start another car with it.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Gunnar

Also check the battery cables, I had a very similar problem on my 73 and it was the negative battery cable.
Gunnar S. Valdimarsson
CLC 24352
1964 Coupe de Ville