News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Series 72 windows

Started by jbento, December 03, 2008, 02:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbento

Howdy!

We have installed the windows in the above mentioned car and something seems a bit off.  In regards to the side windows (not the front windshield or rear backlight), we have replaced the window channels, polished the stainless trim, but something seems to be missing. 

Is there supposed to be some rubber in there somewhere?  It just seems like there is too big a gap in between the glass and metal of the door at the bottom of the window.

If I can get a picture later, I will attach to the thread.  But in the meantime, if someone has an exploded view of the window, that would be great.

Thanks!

Joe
Joe Bento
CLC# 20081
1940 Cadillac Series 72

Warren Rauch

The problem sounds like you may have the wrong glass setting filler. The proper kind has a moulded lip on it to take up a gap to the outside of the door.Warren

jbento

Quote from: Warren Rauch on December 06, 2008, 10:23:29 AM
  The problem sounds like you may have the wrong glass setting filler. The proper kind has a moulded lip on it to take up a gap to the outside of the door.Warren

Hmmmm.  Any photos?  The glass was set by the glass provider, who supplied the proper coded and etched glass (so I would think they would know the proper setting filler).  Hmmmmm.
Joe Bento
CLC# 20081
1940 Cadillac Series 72

Otto Skorzeny

Never assume anybody else who works on your car knows what he's doing. If there is more than one way to do something you can bet that the other guy will choose the wrong way.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Warren Rauch

What did the glass setting filler look like? It should have gone around the bottom of the glass protecting it from the metal channel. Then on the side that goes to the outside of the car coming out at a  right angel to the glass there should be a flap (sometimes up to an inch)of rubber to seal it to the body.The proper part (they had more than one style)was #4099014 and was used on  some 39-40 & 46-48 models. Other similair parts were used  on 41-42 and  at least thru 56.  There is another part that the 56  I just did ,had you didn't mention. That is what is known as a "Cat"s Hair" strip. It is less than a 1/2 inch wide and looks like you cut the side off a standard U channel. It runs the lenghth of the glass and is mounted so the glass can rub it as it is cranked up often on both sides of the hole the glass comes out of. The best diagram I found is #79 in the Fisher body 1939-40 book, If you need a copy I can send it to you.Warren

jbento

Quote from: Warren Rauch on December 06, 2008, 10:23:29 AM

Does anyone have any idea where I can get this glass setting filler?  I do believe this is the issue.
Joe Bento
CLC# 20081
1940 Cadillac Series 72