News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Whom makes reproduction firewall cowl tags for a 48-49 Cadillac ?

Started by Jeff Maltby 4194, December 03, 2008, 02:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Maltby 4194

Friend needs one for his 48 convertible.

Thanks in advance.

Jeffo 49er chapter :<)
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Get in touch with a company called AG Back East -- they make reproduction tags for
many cars that look so good you can't tell them from the originals.

Their website is:  http://www.datatags.com/

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

veesixteen

These were available for a time form CLC Member (or former member?) Carl Stoutenberg. Sorry, I don't seem to have a contact address for Carl at this time.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

jaxops

Not to alarm anyone but I was watching "Chasing Classic Cars" when they had an auction in Connecticut, and the State Police were all over the cars that had been restored with replaced or re-installed original VIN tags.  I don't know what their issue about it was but it was a headliner on that show.  I would guess that if you have matching numbers elsewhere on the car, even those folks wouldn't have a problem with it. 
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Otto Skorzeny

Laws vary from state to state. Enforcement also varies. Generally it's a crime to remove those tags or change them. That's why you'll often see 100pt restored classics with a pretty crummy vin tag. Obviously if it's ever removed for any reason and re-installed, the car will always be suspect in the eyes of collectors and law enforcement investigators.

If you do put a new tag on the car, it would be wise to put that fact in writing on the bill of sale should you ever sell it. Keep a copy for yourself. As long as you're open and above board about it, you'll probably not get in any troubleeven if it's not legal in your state.

I am aware of instances where restorers have purchased "used" parts which later turned out to be stolen. With the original, unmolested VIN tag, they were able to prove the entire vehicle was not the stolen car in question. The stolen hemi engine had to be yanked and returned to it's rightful owner but there wasn't any question about the identity of the vehicle itself.

I guess I'm just saying beware of what you do with or to a VIN tag. You wouldn't want to have to try and prove that the car you have is actually the car you say it is simply because someone notices that the VIN tag is not the one that came from the factory or is not installed exactly as it was from the factory .
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Just to be clear.  When I saw the question about a "firewall tag"  for a '48
I knew that would not be a VIN tag -- I assumed the original poster just
confused the nomenclature.

The "cowl tags" that were referenced and are reproduced by AG Back East
for cars of this vintage do not contain the VIN number.  These are the tags
that have the series number, codes for exterior and interior color, body,
accessories.  They are on the cowl in the engine compartment.

On these cars, what we call the VIN number today was the "engine number"
back then and was stamped on the block and the frame.

As pointed out in earlier posts, reproducing an actual VIN tag for a later car
without legal documentation in most states in a "no-no".  How you get that
documented and approved is different in every state

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500