News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

New Stereos and Old Caddys

Started by Quinton Bradford #25053, December 05, 2008, 01:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quinton Bradford #25053

I was just trying to get some ideas on how to put a new stereo in my '63 convertible.  I don't want to mess with the integrity of the inside of the car, but I would like to have a better sound system than the stock one I have now.  As you know, it only has one speaker in the dash and one in the back seat.  Do they make speakers now that sound better with just those 2 speakers or is there a way to have more?
If you have pics of what you've done to your caddy in the means of sound system, please send pics!
Thanks!
Quinton
Quinton Bradford
1963 Cadillac DeVille - "Gertie"

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Quinton,

I put a stereo/cd player in the glove box. It uses the original antenna which is connected to the new stereo and the original wonderbar radio via an antenna  splitter from radio shack. The Wonderbar was rebuilt along with its speaker and works beautifully. Since it's am, that pretty much leaves only talk radio so that's fine with me. I installed 4 inch speakers in the rear deck for the stereo and two 4 inch speakers in the front kick panels under the dash. The kick panel ones can be installed with the cloth over the speaker so it's invisible. The rear ones are also relatively unobtrusive. Mine are surface mounted so there is a 1/2" reveal.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

kelly

Quinton,
  Check with www.usapartssupply.com.  They make new radios that are made to fit the old cars. I put a 44 watt am/fm/cassette in my 57". I put new three way speakers in the factory holes. Sounds great.  I put my original radio in a box in case somebody wants to re-install that old tube powered dinosaur.
Kelly Martin
57" Fleetwood 75
Kelly Martin
1957 Fleetwood 75
2008 DTS

TJ Hopland

There are several companies that make a fairly universal fit radio.  One design has the 'knobs' separate from the main body so the spacing or orientation of the knobs does not make any difference.   I dont think anyone makes a cadillac specific model but I have been told that some of the companies let you choose the body style and the knobs you want out of the catalog.  Seems like some of the Vette and Mustang knobs looked alright in the caddy dashes.   Many of the models have at least an external input jack for an mp3 type of thing.   Some have an Ipod dock and controller.  Many have an optional cd changer control so you can put the cd changer under the seat or in the trunk.    If you look at some of the 60's car vendors (like mustangs and chevelles) you will find things like dual coil or smaller dual speakers that can often fit in original locations and give you improved sound without changing the look.  Only pain is you have to do your research and figure out what will fit on your own since the cads usually are not listed.  Ebay is a good place to start finding some of the brand names then usually you can find their stores or direct websites. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Coupe

Check out Custom Autosound's website. They have a number of options including remote CD changers. I have one of theirs in my '57. The only fabrication I had to do was a bracket to support the radio's carcass behind the dash.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2