News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Special Order Trim Codes

Started by Chris Conklin, December 05, 2008, 06:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Conklin

In my search for an early 60s Cadillac I've encountered a couple cars with special order trim data on the cowl tag ("SO4689" on the attached sample). The numbers following the SO trim designation match the sequence number of the body. Is there any identifier on the vehicle to tell you what the special order trim was? Or do you need to authenticate it through GM to get this data? Just wondering if there may be an identifier somewhere else in the manner of a two-tone paint "X" designation with a dash tag for the upper/lower colors. This car appears to have been reupholstered with white leather (wrong pattern and it was available standard anyway) but the dash pad is in green and the steering wheel is white/green. Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom.
Chris Conklin

veesixteen

So far as I know, the only place you will find an explanation of the "SO" code is the car's build sheet. "SO" numbers follow a straightforward numerical sequence; they are unrelated to any other trim or color codes.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Yann is correct, but I'd like to add one thing. It appears that after the war, the SO numbers match the body number. HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

jagbuxx #12944

Quote from: Chris Conklin on December 05, 2008, 06:52:21 PM
In my search for an early 60s Cadillac I've encountered a couple cars with special order trim data on the cowl tag ("SO4689" on the attached sample). The numbers following the SO trim designation match the sequence number of the body. Is there any identifier on the vehicle to tell you what the special order trim was? Or do you need to authenticate it through GM to get this data? Just wondering if there may be an identifier somewhere else in the manner of a two-tone paint "X" designation with a dash tag for the upper/lower colors. This car appears to have been reupholstered with white leather (wrong pattern and it was available standard anyway) but the dash pad is in green and the steering wheel is white/green. Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom.
For '61, the info available from the archives lists the schedule of cars built-for my '61 Coupe, the trim is listed as "00" and the trim tag on the cowl lists "SO13454" to correspond with the body number. My car had been ordered with full leather rather than cloth and leather that was the normal trim. On the back of my door panels is written "special 1274". I could find no build sheet under the seats.
Perhaps your cars s/o status was due to white leather with green carpet and dash trim-the normal spec trim would have been white w/black or white w/red.
Good luck!
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

wrefakis

the special order would only be found on the factory copy of the car order form submitted with the order,otherwise they will show with oo,I have only seen one original order for a car with so trim,it was a persian and white bucket seat combo,there was one 59 biarritz with a factory special order top,build record shows a single o for top,no clue if that car is alive!