News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'51 Series 62 Wipers

Started by Rick Cerbone (20905), December 12, 2008, 02:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Cerbone (20905)

I recently discovered my wipers do not work.  I looked under the dash board and found the chains that drive the transmissions are just hanging.  They do not appear broken.  I could not find the correct routing of these chains in my service manual.  Any ideas where this information can be found??  Thanks.   

Warren Rauch

When you say chains,  I am left wondering what your looking at. The cars earlier  than this did have chains in the wiper transmissions. A 1951 should have a system of spindle like things for transmissions , then a cable tensioner on each side and then the motor, all linked by cables.There is  nothing in the 51 shop supplement, the 48-50 manuals all tell how to install the transmission and it 's cables. Basiclly you back the tensioner pressure off ,and there is a place to put a pin to hold it in the off position. Then loop the cables around  and onto the motor. Then sloooowly add the tension on to the cables.As for a diagram, I can only find  a crude one in the parts book and the earlier shop manuals.Warren

Rick Cerbone

Thank you.  I will take a better look at what I have.  I will also take a look at some older service manuals to see what I can find.  I thought I had checked a '50 manual and a '51 suppliment.  I will keep looking.  Again, thanks.  Rick