News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Do all 1956 Eldorado Seville have fabric tops or was it an option?

Started by Pepto, December 19, 2008, 12:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepto

Heather
CLC number #11841

Walter Youshock

Yes, the Vicodec tops were standard.  I'm sure the car could have been ordered without it, though.

There is a '58 CDV in New Jersey with either a factory or dealer-installed "Seville" top.

Back then, they'd do almost anything to satisfy the customer.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Heather

Quote from: Walter Youshock on December 19, 2008, 01:05:09 PM
Yes, the Vicodec tops were standard.  I'm sure the car could have been ordered without it, though.

There is a '58 CDV in New Jersey with either a factory or dealer-installed "Seville" top.

Back then, they'd do almost anything to satisfy the customer.
Is there anyway to tell if it was ordered without one via the vin or data plate?  Thank you!

Walter Youshock

Possibly.  There should be a separate 2-digit number for the paint color (usually starting with "9" if it was an Eldorado metallic color) and another 2-digit code for the top.  If there is only one code or a number that matches up with a paint color instead of a top fabric, thenwe might be able to figure it out.

What color was the car?  Can you post what is on the Data Plate?

Or, order the Build Sheet for the car from GM Historical Services.

These tops did go bad and many were stripped off the cars since the roofs would rot out.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Ohio57-62Sedan

Heather the build sheet will be a huge help to your questions..  ;D

Otto Skorzeny

Here is the info from the data plate and a link to the car:

Style  6237 SDX
Body No. FW          3507
Trim No.   10                       B
Paint No.  46-90
Acc              EHK

http://www.bartonsclassiccars.com/Inventory/

Unless I'm mistaken, that paint code indicates that the top was painted Alpine White and the body Mountain Laurel. Perhaps the car did come from the factory with a painted top.

6237SDX  = Eldorado Seville,   X = power windows

E = E-Z-Eye glass (tinted windshield)
H = Heater
K = Air Conditioning

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Walter Youshock

Sounds right to me, too.

Code 10 is black and white leather interior.

Mountain Laurel was quite popular.  In '57, it and all the 62 convertible colors and leathers were available across the entire line.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Pepto

Quote from: Walter Youshock on December 19, 2008, 09:08:40 PM
Sounds right to me, too.

Code 10 is black and white leather interior.

Mountain Laurel was quite popular.  In '57, it and all the 62 convertible colors and leathers were available across the entire line.
Now all I need is a fellow club member to look at the car.  It is in Virginia. Where is a good place to post that kind of request? I would be more than willing to pay someones time and expenses.  I just need a non biased person to " ::)kick its tires"
Heather
CLC number #11841

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Heather,

Just start a new post in the General forum asking for someone who could inspect the car in the Virginia town where it's located. Hopefully someone with knowledge of 56s lives nearby.
fward

quadfins

Quote from: Pepto on December 19, 2008, 09:35:56 PM
Now all I need is a fellow club member to look at the car.  It is in Virginia. Where is a good place to post that kind of request? I would be more than willing to pay someones time and expenses.  I just need a non biased person to " ::)kick its tires"

Where in Virginia? I am not far from Williamsburg, and may have some time in the next few weeks.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Pepto

Quote from: quadfins on December 21, 2008, 02:49:11 PM

Where in Virginia? I am not far from Williamsburg, and may have some time in the next few weeks.

Jim
Jim
It is in Martinsville VA.  I believe that is southern Va?  I would be more than willing to pay you for your time and expenses.  I just want to make sure it runs :)  Thanks so much. Heather
Heather
CLC number #11841

Otto Skorzeny

That's 234 miles from Williamsburg. It's 100 miles from Durham, NC
fward

quadfins

I'm afraid that Martinsville is about a 5 hour drive from me, each way. I won't have that much free time.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Pepto

Quote from: quadfins on December 21, 2008, 07:49:28 PM
I'm afraid that Martinsville is about a 5 hour drive from me, each way. I won't have that much free time.

Jim
Jim
Thank you for the offer.  I did find someone to look at it.  I appreciate your help.   ;D
Heather
CLC number #11841