News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

I need help ID'ing this Cadillac 390

Started by Aaron, December 23, 2008, 01:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron

Hello group,

I am asking for your help. I have a 390 and I believe it is a 1964. It came from a Miller-Meteor Ambulance with the Cadillac commercial chassis. the block number is 1481283. Anyone know what it is? IMy father in law said it was a  390, but I do not know what year. Thanks.
Aaron

quadfins

If it is from a '64, it won't be a 390.
Where is the distributor located - front or rear of the block?
It might be a '63 390.
There is an engine serial number (which is also the VIN), and an engine unit number.
The '61 shop manual states that engine unit numbers begin with 16 for "regular" models, and 17 for commercial chassis. Non-AC cars have an X following the code, AC cars have a K. This is then followed by the consecutive manufacturing number. 1962 cars are 26 and 27, X or K. I don't know how this might have changed after 1962.

Keep the clues coming.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

JohnA

Hello fellow guests and members.

Glad to find the forum, this is my first post.
I have a few questions for the Cad experts myself, but I thought I'd try to give a little  before I take a lot!  ;)

I can't ID Aaron's engine by number, but may know some visual differences that will help to narrow down the original application.

In this era Commercial car changes seem to lag one model year behind. I'll write about the most common non-commercial applications that I've had experience with; I'm sure there are exceptions.

The last 390 was built in '63. 1964 went to a 429 which externally appears very similar to the '63 390.
The ‘63 390, and ‘64 and newer 429 are noticeably different than the ‘62 and earlier 390 in many ways.

Here are a few easy to spot external engine differences that I recall:

The ‘63 and newer engine has the fuel pump mounted low on the front cover, vs the fuel pump mounted above the coolant cross-over on the earlier engine.

In '63 the distributor moved from the back of the block to the front cover.

'64 fitted with aluminum turbo-hydro trans uses an adapter plate between engine and trans. This adapter changed Cad block pattern to fit Buick trans.

‘63 and newer valve covers carry "Cadillac" in script rather than block letters, also new covers have two rounded corners, and are not symmetrical. Early engine covers are a symmetrical shape.

'65 and newer starter motor bolts to block with two vertical bolts; early starter bolts to trans or adapter.

That's from memory only, but I think I have things right; if not, correct me.
I'm sure other posters will have more details.

Hope it helps.

Glad to land here! Good Luck,

John

Otto Skorzeny

Take a few photos from all angles and post them here. That's the surest way to get a positive ID.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Aaron

I will post some photos when I go home. Thanks for all the help thus far. The dist. is in the front and the valve covers are the script. More info to follow. Thaks again.

Aaron

schuyler

Chris Conklin

Where on the engine did you find the number?
Chris Conklin

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

The original poster, Aaron, stopped responding 18 MONTHS ago.  Another  old post drug up.  Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on June 12, 2009, 02:38:54 PM
The original poster, Aaron, stopped responding 18 MONTHS ago.  Another  old post drug up.  Bob

As you noted, Bob, it's an old post, but not as old as you stated; on the 23rd of this month it will be 6 months old.
That said, I'm with you; what's the deal with people other than the original poster dragging these old topics out again?
I'm trying to be more careful about watching the dates on the posts.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Rusty, you're correct. Like I said before, it always seems to be a visitor to the board. They drag it up, other people respond, not seeing the dates. That's usually the last you hear from the visitor. I'd sure like to know the deal myself. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.