News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

56 Intake Manifold Options?

Started by Eric Falk, December 24, 2008, 03:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Falk

I thought I had an exhaust leak and learned it's an intake leak.  Better said, the intake manifold is cracked.  Being that it's cast iron it will cost $200-$300 to have it welded.  There have been those that will weld it for less but I've heard enough stories that I shouldn't opt for anything less than the those who specialize in welding cast iron.

Okay, so I pay $250 to have it welded, put it back on the car with the possibility that it will crack again.  At what point does one find a reasonable alternative?  I say now because I'm not looking for a "factory correct" look.  As a matter of fact I would prefer something unique, maybe made from aluminum.  Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket intake manifold made for the 365ci engine?  Or if there is an aftermarket manifold that can be modified to fit?

Thanks for your time and Happy Holidays!

bill henry

Bill Henry

Dave Shepherd

I'd be concerned about why it cracked first, mis aligment over tightened?

TonyZappone #2624

I junked a series 62 coupe years ago.  It was/is in Paul lauricella's junkyard.  Call him see if he has part.  585-765-9106.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

jaxops

Quote from: Eric Falk on December 24, 2008, 03:39:13 PM
Okay, so I pay $250 to have it welded, put it back on the car with the possibility that it will crack again.  At what point does one find a reasonable alternative?  I say now because I'm not looking for a "factory correct" look.  As a matter of fact I would prefer something unique, maybe made from aluminum.  Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket intake manifold made for the 365ci engine?  Or if there is an aftermarket manifold that can be modified to fit?

My 56 had a cracked intake, and we found that many,many of the parts cars we checked also had a cracked intake manifold.  I am guessing over-tightening and the high heat were the cause.  I know that mine was over-tightened by the mechanic interested in getting the car the heck out of his garage so that he could go back to catering!  I did find a new one and it was carefully installed.  That was 3 years ago and it hasn't had any problems, although I don't put the kind of use on the car that it had when it was on the road.
Good luck with the repair or replacement!
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Eric Falk

I figured it cracked because its a 52 year old piece of cast iron that has been installed, removed and installed  numerous times.  More than likely overtightened and overheated about as many times.  Though I've never removed it in the past 2 years I've owned it.  If it failed as a result of overtightening it doesn't matter because I wont overtighten the next one.  I will check the heat riser to make sure it's operable.

It's good to hear that others have found replacements that are just as old and in good condition.  It gives me hope that maybe they're not all bad.