News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 Eldorado Seville with dual headlamps? Factory prototype?

Started by JohnA, December 24, 2008, 06:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnA

I photographed this '56 a few years ago at a Phoenix auction.
I lack any further details or owner information.

The car was presented as: "Eldorado Seville prototype"

Whatya think?

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

In 2 words: PURE HYPE!  Ted Holcombe owned the car for years. Someone discovered soon after the 58's came out that there was enough room in the 56's to install a 58 head light assy. And a number of them were converted.  It seems JC Whitney offered these for various cars also. As I said before these sellers will say ANYTHING to make their cars seem more rare. Read that as more valuable. Cadillac did not release protype cars to be sold. HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Walter Youshock

I agree.  A '56 in '58 was, quite honestly, yesterday's car.  So was a '57.  Taking the time and effort to "convert" a '56 to quad lights--nope, not worth it.

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

No, but it has his MO. Everyones tying to get in on the act. Ted sold it as a nice original car. The new owner promptly "restored" it. It was for sale by some dealer in San Diego about a year ago. It's a "hype" queen now. Looking for the ultimate sucker with MMTB. Bob

JohnA

Bob, Thanks for posting the car's background info.

When I saw the car I did dismiss the prototype claims, but I will say the conversion or customization showed excellent workmanship.

I studied the lamps and fenders very closely, there was no obvious metal work and the bezel showed a good fit to the fender. Then there's the chrome spear down the fender side that also fits nicely. Maybe the whole fender "eyebrow" was grafted from some dual lamp fender? Or maybe it was a high quality headlamp upgrade kit? Maybe someone will recognize the bezel or spear. I wonder if previous owner Ted Holcombe ever studied the fenders from the inside?

Although I wonder about them, it's no big deal to solve the lamp conversion's origin; just thought I'd post it as an oddity.

Good Luck

Walter Youshock

"Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of man?--"

Why, The SHADOW, of course!

As for the evil in their cars--well, that is another story.  A human is sometimes easier to decipher than a mechanical beast.  The car is cheaper to fix, of course...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

veesixteen

This one and some others have found their way into the Cadillac Database section on "Dream Cars" that includes also custom jobs (like this), show cars and prototypes.  It certainly is not alone.  Could this be the one that was advertized in Hemmings, in Dec., 2007 [?] with a price tag of $175,000!!!!!!
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Otto Skorzeny

Notice how they cut the tips off the Dagmars and installed pasties? If he gets $175,00 for it, maybe I'll do that to mine as a form of retirement insurance.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

John Morris #23947

71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

J Kjerrulf

More Sevilles did get the dual headlamps, found this pic on www.kustomguys.com. Not in the "Dream Cars"-section... Looks like an old conversion to me, fins appear to be modified as well with a modest continental touch. ;D
/J Kjerrulf
Eldorado Seville 1957

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Walter Youshock

Well, it started as a '57.

Looks like the fenders, or at least the lights, are from a Checker Marathon.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

JohnA

Quote from: Walter Youshock on December 28, 2008, 01:39:22 PM
Well, it started as a '57.

Looks like the fenders, or at least the lights, are from a Checker Marathon.

Interesting. I was thinking maybe the donor was Rambler.

But then again did small independents like Checker or Rambler base their bezel design on another manufacturer's available surplus tooling?

Good Luck

John

Walter Youshock

The taillights look like 'early '50's Chevy.

I'll never understand who so many '57-'58 Eldos lost their fins...  The last of the unique-bodied Eldorados until 1967.

Guess you had to be there...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Ohio57-62Sedan

And this is why I come here..... You guy's are always brutally honest no matter what...  :D