News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Is SATURN officially dead?

Started by Jim Salmi #21340, December 25, 2008, 01:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Salmi #21340

I was told by a relative who works for a chain of dealers that it is offical that GM is killing off the Saturn divison.  I haven't seen that in the news.  Is it true?
1952 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan

Johnny

I don't know if its true or not, but I have always found it interesting that, to some small degree, GM has always sort of distanced themselves from the Saturn.  It seems to me that they sort of knew what they were doing wrong with the sales of their current brands, and wanted to start from scratch with a whole new brand, and conduct business in a completely different way, such as not having to negotiate the price of the car.

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Kind of too bad if they do. The Saturn's are decent cars. The Sky is one sharp looking sports car.

Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Johnny

Quote from: P W Allen CLC# 20193 on December 25, 2008, 02:52:00 PM
Kind of too bad if they do. The Saturn's are decent cars. The Sky is one sharp looking sports car.

i agree, most of their new products are quite nice looking.

Jim Salmi #21340

The LA Times reported on December 4 that GM was "exploring alternatives" for the brand.  That probably is not "officailly official".  Typical euphemistic management-speak.

It's painful to watch this once-proud flagship American enterprise flounder this way.  The products have improved greatly, but it just may be too little too late.

1952 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan

BJM

Saturn is forward thinking/acting. Virtually all of their dealerships are newer and more modern then the other GM brands. They are situated market -wise - more in high traffic suburban areas. I think GM would be ill advised to kill them. They actually represent - if you think about it - the direction everyone wants GM to go. Smaller, tighter cars with 4 cyl and V6 engines, some hybrids, crossovers. Their offerings go from Honda Civic size cars to sedans and SUV's and (for now) the Sky.

Why not align them with Cadillac the way GM has force-aligned Pontiac-Buick-GMC. They are different markets for sure but it would help those Cadillac dealers build volume.

Paul W Allen CLC # 20193

BJM, you have hit the nail right on the head! Totally agree. Wasn't the Saturn division formed to directly compete with the foreign car makers in the first place? I think they have done that to a point, BUT, I don't think they have done a very good job of marketing the brand over the years. Hardly ever seen an ad or commercial. But lately they have been doing better at that, which is a good thing. Hopfully the morons running the company will see the light and keep the Saturn Division!!

Paul

Roger H

Saturn has changed over the years, their cars are no longer unique to the Saturn line,  The Aura is a Malibu the Sky is same as a pontiac  Solstice etc.
I own an 07 Aura and it is a very nice car,   The last time I had it at the dearlership  the mechanic mentioned that they were all nervious about the Saturn closing rumor.
He said how easy it would be to just send all Saturn owners to another GM dealer for service.
Roger Hundtoft
1936 Fleetwood 8509
Lynnwood Wa

Johnny

Quote from: Roger H on December 27, 2008, 12:04:07 PM
Saturn has changed over the years, their cars are no longer unique to the Saturn line,  The Aura is a Malibu the Sky is same as a pontiac  Solstice etc.
I own an 07 Aura and it is a very nice car,   The last time I had it at the dearlership  the mechanic mentioned that they were all nervious about the Saturn closing rumor.
He said how easy it would be to just send all Saturn owners to another GM dealer for service.

I guess Michael Douglas in the film "Wall Street" best described Saturn when he said:

"but a dog with different fleas."