News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Factory White Wall Tire Width

Started by joe, December 29, 2008, 08:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe

Does anyone out there know the factory correct white wall width for 1979 DeVilles? I have a Hess and Eisenhardt Convertible and need to replace all 4. Currently I have 1" stripes but can only find 3/4" replacements. Anyone know which the correct width. Nothing on my window sticker.

Thanks,
Joe

Eric S. Maypother #15104

I think they were close to 2" Coker tire may have something close.

www.coker.com
Eric :)
1990 Cadillac Brougham

Greg Powers

According to the  sales brochure for the regular production vehicles in 1979, the DeVilles came equiped with steel-belted radials with wide white stiripe in size GR 78-15. In actual measurement that would be at the two inch width. Wheels for the vehicle, 15x6 JJ, were  covered with a full wheel disc or wire wheel disc(option) or the authentic wire wheel. Coker would be one of the only options for the true Gr 78-15 wide whitewall tires, but less expensive p-metric replacements can be located with your local tire dealer under some private labels(Broadway Classic used to be one such label).Good luck.-Greg
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

J

Cadillac got me!!!

TJ Hopland

2" seems pretty wide for the 70's.  That closer to 1.x" seems more like it to me but I could be wrong.   I dont have this car anymore (but the guy has not finished paying me so who knows, I may have it back soon) so I cant easily measure them. 1.6 seems about right. The rears are the typical 3/4 that were available in the 90's, the fronts were new 2 years ago but are now discontinued, got them from Tires Plus so maybe you could try and see if they still have some in your area.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

EAM 17806

JOE!  I have a 1976 de Ville and the correct whitewall width for this is 1.6" and I would bet that size went into the 80s. This came from the factory when I got it new.  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

joe

looks like the closest i can get are the 215/75/15's with a 1.3" white wall. coker has them for 120 ea and broadway for 74 ea. i can seem to find anyone who makes 1.6" or 2." thanks to all for the help, and if anyone has anything else to add it'd be much appreciated.

joe

35-709

Talk to the folks at Diamondback Tires ---- http://www.dbtires.com/  They will make just about any whitewall you want and have an excellent reputation.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

mgbeda

Circa 1980 my Dad had a '76 Deville and my brother had a '79 DeVille.  I remember that the '76 originally had 1.75" whitewalls, and the ones on the '79 were a little narrower.  I was going to say 1.5", but 1.6" could be right.  Definitely more than one inch and less than two inches.

Coker has these, which sound like they'd be about perfect:

http://store.coker.com/p225-75r15-american-classic-1.6-whitewall-tire.html

Good luck!

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

joe

thanks mg. only problem is that i need 215s not 225s. maybe those will work though. thanks.

Eric S. Maypother #15104

Heres a 1979 Cadillac Coupe deVille on eBay with 6k miles, looks like the Original tires they had for that year, I remember that thread design when I'd find used tires in the junk yard. I think they were Goodyear or Firestone.

This guy has a lot of beautiful cars but gives 5 word descriptions, then you see people selling $2 items and give a 1,000 word essay about item.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-DeVille-DTS-Phaeton-Phaeton_W0QQitemZ300289588941QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item300289588941&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A64|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318
Eric :)
1990 Cadillac Brougham

Hollywood

Joe,
The tire you seek is 1.3 inches....go to www.tirefactory.net....The Broadway Classic has a "widewhite" of 1.30 inches....this is a solid, affordable tire.  A friend of mine sold these for years, it fits the standard/OEM...H'wood
Eric D. Cook
1965 Coupe deVille

mycoupedeville

the correct width IS the 1.3 inch. I had Firestone FR721's in the P215/75R/15 and looked great! I got these 4 years ago brand new off Tirerack.com and I was told these were discontinued; obviously not. But now according to them (tirerack) they are.  :( Anyway, I gave these away to my moms 78 Coupe and now her car stands out. Now, I got new Dimension IV's with the same width of whitewall off of another forum; now these tires match my spare (forgot to get one when I got the Firestones, duh). I know Runway Enduro tires have a nice whitewall width too, just do not know the exact width though. A guy mentioned the Goodyear tire; I have a set of those in P175/75R/14 and they're Goodyear Arriva. Them some old tires but still look good!  ;D
We all make mistakes, that is why pencils have erasers.

J.C.

Quote from: mycoupedeville on May 23, 2009, 02:26:57 AM
the correct width IS the 1.3 inch.

How do you know that 1.3" is the correct width?  Is there any definitive source about the width of that stripe?  There's no CLC authenticity manual for '79 Fleetwoods or DeVilles...
2023 Genesis G80 Electrified
2023 Volvo V60 Recharge

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

John...I've been down this road and back and the
short answer is that if finding the precise WW width for a 1977-1984
RWD Cadillac possible, finding it in the proper tread pattern
and WW offset from the wheel cover will not.

If there exists any factory published tire specs specifying WW width,
I am unaware of it. Most literature simply describes the tires as "Wide Whitewall", the
factory probably not wishing to commit to any specific WW width
which may have varied slightly depending on the tire supplier of
which there were several, which means small variances in WW width of OEM
supplied tires was likely as not.

On cars of this era, I have gone with the Coker Classic 1.3" WW which,
although slightly narrower than factory OEM, nevertheless looks quite
at home on this generation of Cadillacs, IMO.  At the 2014 GN, my 1977
Coupe deVille received no point deductions with these tires.

Whatever you decide, I would recommend sticking with anything
from 1.3" - 1.6" which will look fine.

For comparison, here is my 1977 with Coker 1.3" WW and a factory advertisement.
You be the judge.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Eric, that is a very beautiful car.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Thanks for the kind words.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Eric,
That car is a terrible color. The black paint is giving me a headache & sweats just looking at it. I suggest painting it white, tan or maybe a pissy green. Then change the interior to white. Don't forget the dash pad.
Of course I'm kidding!!! That color combination is my favorite. I'd love to see it in person.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

76eldo

I have seen it in person and it's as nice or nicer than in the photo.

Eric knows Cadillacs.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv