News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

car cover

Started by vikings1, January 02, 2009, 08:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vikings1

Can anyone suggest a good  outdoor car cover for my 64 eldorado? i've spent good money for several that have not held up.  They either do not fit correctly or the tail fins rip it to shreds! thnx.

TJ Hopland

What type of climate?  Is the car protected at all other than the cover?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

jaxops

Quote from: vikings1 on January 02, 2009, 08:03:46 AM
Can anyone suggest a good  outdoor car cover for my 64 eldorado? i've spent good money for several that have not held up.  They either do not fit correctly or the tail fins rip it to shreds! thnx.
I have used California Car Covers and their ability to stand up depends a lot on the weather.  I live in southeastern Virginia and the sun and rains damage them enough so that in 2 years they need to be replaced.  Up until now I have used the multi-weave and noah products.  They are good, but don't expect them to last forever.  This year I am trying our the extreme-weave, a lightweight cover for my 89 Crown Victoria.  It is more waterproof and seems to resist wearing on the edges like the Kimberly Clark material products do.
I have noticed that as the covers wear, they rub holes or wear thin around fins, roof racks, and mirrors.  I used duct tape to cover the holes to make it last longer, but perhaps cushioning underneath before you start using the cover would help.  Foam or even extra material and glue it on the underside where the fins or wear points tend to show up.  Just some thoughts.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

DaveW

I have read that using a cover on a car stored outside can lead to scratches in the paint due to rubbing when the cover flaps back and forth due to the wind blowing it around.  What has your experience been?  Is this a real problem?  If so, how big of a problem?
David Whittaker
CLC #20768

1957 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible
1958 Cadillac Series 70 Fleetwood Eldorado Brougham
1977 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

JerRita

Several years ago I put a good quality cover on my 69 and when I took the cover off in the spring I also took the paint off the hood and trunk NEVER AGAIN JerRita
Jerry and Rita Trapani #15725 Caddymaniacs

Glen

I used a California Car cover on my 68 ELDO when parked at work.  The cover I bought was intended for use in a garage not so much for out door use.  I chose it because it was light enough to put on and off every day. 

California Car Cover has a good web site describing the various covers they sell and what conditions they are designed for. 

It’s important to get a cover that fits properly otherwise it will flap in the breeze and wear the paint, blow off and any number of problems.   

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

jaxops

Quote from: DaveW on January 02, 2009, 12:18:12 PM
I have read that using a cover on a car stored outside can lead to scratches in the paint due to rubbing when the cover flaps back and forth due to the wind blowing it around.  What has your experience been?  Is this a real problem?  If so, how big of a problem?
I haven't had that problem. I always get a cover that is soft on the paint but can withstand the elements.  They can blow off occassionally, but these all have good elastic on the edges.  If the cover is made for your car, it fits more snugly as well.  The generic ones tend to flap around a bit but the ones I bought that are made for the car have always stayed put. 
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

vikings1

Quote from: TJ Hopland on January 02, 2009, 08:36:27 AM
What type of climate?  Is the car protected at all other than the cover?
i live in NJ so i get every weather extreme. there is no other protection besides the cover- no garage.

David #19063

Around here, one can rent a 10' x 20' garage at a storage place for $60 - $80 a month. 

And if you find someone with an empty garage space, even less than that.
David #19063
1996 DeVille Concours

76eldo

I looked at a Corvette last winter for sale here in the PA area (same harsh winters).  He had the car in one of those canopy type enclosures, and the car stayed dry, and clean in there.  The Caddy is a lot bigger, so it may be hard to find one of these, but may be worth the effort.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

akstraw

I have used California Car Covers on two collector cars here in central North Carolina.  I believe the particular one I selected was called Stomweave.  The cars are stored in an open carport, I use the covers to minimize sun damage and to keep the dust and pollen off the cars during dry weather.  I haven't noticed any paint damage, but the motion of the breeze does seem to cause patches of dust to form underneath them. 

They will trap moisture underneath; particularly in the type of weather we are having here now with a lot of precipitation and large daily temperature swings.  Because I am concerned about the effect of having a layer of moisture on the cars all the time, (especially the chrome plated parts), I remove the covers for the winter - there's less sun and dust at that time of year anyway.

The cover for the Cadillac is quite large, and I am also wondering how I am going to clean it.  As I said, it does accumulate a layer of dust undeneath over time, some of which is picked up by the underside of the fabric.

I have also considered the fabric car shelter, as mentioned above.  My mother in the mountains of Pennsylvania has used one for five or six years, now.  The first one, which had a standard frame (3/4" tubing), was picked up by the wind and blew over one time.   Fortunately, the car was not in it just them, and was not damaged in the process.  The current one has a much heavier frame; 1.5"  pipe or so, and is very heavily anchored down. 

Andy
CLC 21467
Andrew Straw
CLC 21467