News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Factory contintental kit for 1956?

Started by Charlie Petty, January 02, 2009, 09:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Petty

Did the factory offer a continental kit in 1956?  If so, anyone have a pic of it?  If not, who where the major manufacturers?  Any pics?  THANKS A LOT.

Walter Youshock

I think it was a dealer option.  I think an aftermarket company mad them and were approved by GM.

In '57, there were 2 styles--one where the entire bumper was extended and another where just the center bumper bar was changed to accommodate the tire.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

35-709

This has been discussed before and as I remember the bottom line is the factory never offered a continental kit, they have always been aftermarket.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Conny

Quote from: Charlie Petty on January 02, 2009, 09:19:24 PM
Did the factory offer a continental kit in 1956?  If so, anyone have a pic of it?  If not, who where the major manufacturers?  Any pics?  THANKS A LOT.

Take a look here: http://www.fenderskirtking.com/ContinentalKits/

Conny

Warren Rauch

This was discussed, but the short story is Cadilac only offered them for part of 1957. There were non GM types  installed by Cadillac Dealers , and Cadillac in 1954 issued a letter asking them not to do it.Try the search  feature on this forum, it should turn up something. Warren

The Tassie Devil(le)

Whilst searching around all the Continental Kit equipped vehicles when I went to the '02 GN, I was amazed at all the different types, and their methods of attachment and locking.

Very few had a "Factory" look about them.

I do know that the Chevrolet ones were built with quality in mind, and every one I have seen was all controlled and locked the same way.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Walter Youshock

Here's a little dealer piece from 1957...

Personally, the only GM car that looks good with a Continental kit is a '58 Chevy.

No idea who made thes, but they must have been good enough.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Charlie Petty

Thanks to all for the responses.  Walter, that brochure is really neat.  Now why didn't Cadillac call them Continental kits like everyone else???   ;)

The Tassie Devil(le)

The type shown in the Brochure is nothing like I have seen before.

What I have seen are either the "Full-bumper-move-back-with horrible fillers" or the adapted or modified "late '50's" Chevrolet type, whicl although they look very nice, lok nothing like the one shown for 1958.

I am actually going to construct one for my 1972 Eldorado Convertible, but doing something a tad different.

Hopefully, I will be able to complete it, and post pictures within the next 10 years, or early 2010.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Walter Youshock

Why weren't they called "Continental" kits--

Probably for the same reason Lincoln Anglicized "Sedan deVille" into "Town Car"!!!

As a Lincoln trademark from Edsel himself, Ford (Lord, help me...) did a decent job incorporating the feature into the Continentals for a long time.  BUT:  Cadillac was about FINS, not spare tires!

Have you ever heard of "Gilding the Lily"?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

I tend to agree with Walt. I used to like all that bolt on stuff, unity spotlights , continental kits etc., but a 50's Cadillac doesn't need any of that. In my opinion these things look like just what they are - bits bolted on. I really don't like those kits that move the bumper out. Anyway, enough of my rants , each to their own !!
Phil

Cadcliff

Here is a picture of a stunning, well thought out 56 Cadillac "spare tire carrier".
Made by the Huddleston Company out of Ohio ( I think).
Cliff Graubard
CLC #1430

1955 Cadillac Broadmoor Wagon x3
1956 Cadillac Broadmoor Wagon- One of two
1955 Eldorado- bronze
1961 Cadillac Biarritz-bucket seats
1964 CDV- Silver/Red Every option
1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
1940 and 1941 60S
1961 Cadillac Convertible
1965 Cadillac Convertible

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

I must admit, that one looks much nicer than the type I previously mentioned that moves the whole bumper outwards.
Phil

Cadcliff

This seems to be the ONE kit that can change those that dont like Continental Kits.
I have had 2 cars with this style kit on it, I still have one loose kit on my shelf....NOS with the instructions.
Cliff Graubard
CLC #1430

1955 Cadillac Broadmoor Wagon x3
1956 Cadillac Broadmoor Wagon- One of two
1955 Eldorado- bronze
1961 Cadillac Biarritz-bucket seats
1964 CDV- Silver/Red Every option
1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
1940 and 1941 60S
1961 Cadillac Convertible
1965 Cadillac Convertible

Otto Skorzeny

Try putting luggage in the trunk with one of those things on there.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE