News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Changing colour

Started by Locadd, January 08, 2009, 11:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Locadd

Hi all,
I am going to be doing some body work on My 67 coupe later in the year and also intend to have it resprayed, will it loose much in value if I change the colour of the car, or should i keep it original
Cheers.
Locadd
Downunder
Peter
1967 Deville Coupe

Johnny

Quote from: Locadd on January 08, 2009, 11:34:31 PM
Hi all,
I am going to be doing some body work on My 67 coupe later in the year and also intend to have it resprayed, will it loose much in value if I change the colour of the car, or should i keep it original
Cheers.
Locadd
Downunder

Depends on who you are trying to please, yourself, or the person that will/might sell the car to.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

My personal opinion would be to keep it original to the data plate.

However, if you really dislike the color, have it done right.  By this I mean, have all of the
chrome removed and have everything (including inside the door jambs, inside of trunk lid,
under the hood, etc) done in the new color.  Sounds simple -- but to have this done correctly
that is making it "look right" and not like a repaint is not a cheap proposition.  It's really
hard to get the new color next to all that weather-stripping and make it look original.

Also, there is the interior color to consider.  You must be certain that the new color for the
exterior will look correct with the interior (painted surfaces as well as upholstery).

As the previous post stated, it's all in what you want.  However if you want it done right,
it will cost you.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

homeonprunehill

01-08-09
L.D.U. Just my opinion, but if the orignal color in not "gaudy" stay with the data plate, if it is "Gaudy" or "God Awful Brown", by all means change it to something YOU like. I  spent close to $10k on a  paiint job that was not what the data said, altho. it was close.
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Otto Skorzeny

Right to all of the above.

Value is in the eye of the purchaser. There are plenty of original cars (Cadillacs and others) that were painted pink or some other weird color at the factory and are nearly impossible to sell.

If you plan on keeping the car for yourself, paint it whatever color makes you happy. If you're intent is to sell it, find out what potential buyers think of the color. Some factory colors add value to a car, some detract.

Generally speaking, a car painted to match the data plate will be easier to sell.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Richard Sills - CLC #936

For purposes of CLC judging, a change of color will not cause any deduction so long as the new color is one that was available from the factory for that car when it was new.

Some of the colors used by Cadillac over the years may look unusual by 2008 standards, but they are very reflective of the period in which the car was designed.  This is another factor to take into account before changing the color.   

Chris Conklin

A thought regarding what Mike mentioned about having it done right... with a '67 you don't have much painted surface (if any) in the interior. So your kinda lucky there. It'll still cost ya though!

Interesting post, and good to know, from Richard regarding the CLC judging; I would have assumed it had to match the build completely or forget it. Me personally, as a shopper, I want it original and matching the tag. But I've never purchased a vehicle with the intent, or thought, to sell it again.
Chris Conklin

jagbuxx #12944

My thought is to keep original to trim tag.
My '47 which looks nice in tu-tone blue was originally tu tone green.
Someday I plan to take it back to original.
My '61 and '76 are in their original colors.
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.